My First Christmas without Alan

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hi Helen, thank you for resurrecting the thread, and sharing how you've been feeling. We're very much at the start of this dementia journey, but I'm sure you'll find comfort and strength from speaking with your 'old' friends.

One day at a time. Take care Helen.
Love, Necion. x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Mary, Sylvia, Jan and Necion:)
The members of TP know you, understand you, care for you and know more about what you went through and how you felt than probably anyone else in your life
That is so true Annie.

I do feel better for knowing that you are all still here to offer me support. Thank you.

Love

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
hi helen you are bound to feel low what with christmas and new year it brings lots of memories back as for memory loss it proberly is down to stress i have moments like that keep strong there is and always will be a place on tp for you you have so much experience and knowledge and advice to share with us all
love larivy

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Helen

I wish I had some wise and wonderful words that would really help you thro this.

These long dark nights of winter may not be helping you,
I think its only natural for us to worry at our lapses , yes I have them too and im pretty sure others here will say the same .

I watch something on telly n lose the plot , dads the same:)
Find a saucepan in the fridge , me pototo peelers gone awol ,I did the washing up and putting away, dads very kindly shredded some important papers of mine
Im not making light of what you are going thro . Just letting u know your not alone .

I think that you like dad and me are not only grieving but could well be suffering from depression, so perhaps a chat with your gp ?

xxxxxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Dear Helen , Just been reading your " updates " and sorry not a lot to say only :
" It helps me to have you there "

Take Care & Best Wishes for a good recovery

Lots of Love & a Hug Love from Grove x x x

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Love

Dear Helen, Christmas and other special times are always so difficult, and you are still in deep grief, no matter how strong you are. And on talking Point we know how strong you are.
George Fox the founder of Quakerism once wrote to a beloved friend who was in deep grief ' this comes with naught but my love'
It's all any of us can offer to each other. But I believe it helps and I know how much your love has helped so many
Shelagh

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Dear Helen , How are you to day ? Agree with Chtistan & also with this :

" Where there is despair , hope "

Even tho in your case it might not happen at once but it will dear Helen

Take Care & Lots of Love from Grove x x x x ( BIG HUG )

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
It must be so hard. I have already considered that there will be many gaping holes in my life when I lose mum, and TP will be one of them. When you pour so much of your heart and soul out to virtual strangers (excuse the pun!), I don't know how I could just disappear. Because that's what it would feel like... Nobody would know what had happened to me, how I was coping, whether I was able to "move on" after losing mum, nobody would hear how my fine little children were doing, or whether I was ok or not.

I suppose in order for you to see your own place here, after loss, imagine a regular poster (like me!) just stopping. After you've learned so much about me as a person, and have possibly even formed a funny kind of friendship, or companionship with me (or the regular poster), then I just don't tell you anything more...because dementia no longer applies to me.

But it will...always. I have been affected by this illness, and that's that. When mum's illness comes to an end, the effects of it won't, and if people care as much about me as they show in their threads throughout my dementia journey, they will surely be the same people who want to stand by me on the next stage of the journey: Dealing with loss, after dementia.

You would. Wouldn't you?

I would have folded by now, without you all. I don't want to fold when the next stage comes. So, although I imagine it will feel strange & different to come onto TP, I know I will still need to talk to you all, and ask for plenty of hugs.

That's why there's not a separate forum for dealing with loss, after dementia...it's right here. With all the best people to hold you up.

So, on the point about not knowing if you have a place here anymore, may I please reassure you that we need to know how you're doing as much as you need to come to us for support. We're actually quite fond of you both...(Helen & Kassy!) :)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Helen,

Forgive me if this upsets you..it's not my intention.

Grief takes its toll in many different ways, as you know.

You are grieving...and seem to be spending a lot of time "doing" rather than "being".

Is the "doing" a way to escape from the grief? It hits us all differently and we cope in our own way.

You are an integral part of TP and we do value your support. Don't ever forget that.

Love and a hug..xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you all again for being so special. I needed to talk and it helped.

Gigi mentioned me 'doing' rather than 'being' and I think I am very good at 'being':) I am actually a very balanced person and that comes from being able to just 'be'. It is because I am able to 'be' that I am able to 'do';) I hope that makes sense.

Today I went for a wonderful walk with a lovely friend and then we went for an Indian meal and a good old chat. I was able to come home to my dear TP friends and I have read up on what many of you are experiencing today. Tomorrow I intend to tackle the back garden and get it into some sort of shape ready for the Spring. Next week I will be meeting quite a lot of you and I know that it will be very special. For those of you not able to make it next week, we will be having a special toast to you.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Helen,

Bottle opener, now that's a good idea;) I did the front garden last week. Took down all the dead stuff and dug the whole lot in between the neighbours taking the opportunity to stop and chat. Great sense of achievement.

Love

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Have A Good Time in London

Hello Helen , Lovely to hear from you :) must admit was a bit worried cos had not seen you on T P these last few days ! !.

Am glad you had a lovely walk & meal with your friend , the Great Out doors does lift the sprits or so i have been told ;) !

Hope your Gardens look fantastic v soon:D :D after all" your hard work" ! ! !, you be asking your friends to Pay too Veiw ;) :D them ! !

Have a fantastic time at "The Show " :D & a safe journey

Take Care & Best Wishes

Lots of Love from Grove x x x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
A very weary but satisfied Helen would like to pop in and say 'hello':) I have had some clients cancel because they have flu and this gave me 2 complete days to tackle the back garden. I have cleaned out the two water features, deadheaded everything, cleared up old pots plastic and terracotta and taken tons to the tip. A friend came to help this afternoon and he was up the rowan tree like nobody's business and cut off branches in no time. He did all the back hedge which is totally holly and pyracantha and then another hedge. Most of the garden is dug. I tidied the shed and cleared out a lot of the garage. I am satisfied:)

All that remains to be done is to get more stuff to the tip which I am hoping to at 8am tomorrow before I go canoeing.

I think Alan would be pleased that I am ok and able to manage and be happy. It helps having you to understand and to care.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Good to hear from you, Helen..and that "being" enables you to be "doing"...:)

And you're certainly doing.....:D

Enjoy your canoeing tomorrow.
(Sorry I never got to see you at Barrow)
All that remains to be done is to get more stuff to the tip which I am hoping to at 8am tomorrow before I go canoeing.

I might open an eye and thnk of you at 8 tomorrow..and then hopefully nod off again...:D

Not sure when London happens but I know you'll all have a good time. Don't forget that umbrella...:)

Love xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen have just pictured you blitzing your lovely garden, bet you feel tired but happy tonight, and perhaps in need of a long soak. I am sure Alan will be happy for you too, My garden is a mess, rubbish every where and lots of plants have died off, you have give me just the kick up the backside I need to do something about it, Enjoy your paddle so glad you feel better love Pam