My fathers memory problems

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Hi

I've just signed up to the forums to get some information and answers if possible.

My father who is now 77 has been having trouble with his memory for some years now, it started off with just minor things like ordinary forgetfulness.

I told him around 2 years ago to see a Dr as I was worried it might be the start of dementia. He said it was just age but I had my doubts, he did not want to see a Dr. Time has passed and when he went for a Dr's appointment about high blood pressure I mentioned to him about his memory problems.

My father seems to have got abit worse the past couple of years. He now does things out of the ordinary for example putting tinned food into the fridge, putting things in cupboards when he never put them there before. Putting a net wash bag into the freezer. Mistaking the handheld phone for the TV remote. These are just some of the things I've noticed.

I've now had to step up and do more things for him. He sometimes misses medication and forgets meals at times so I have had to do these things for him so I'm certain they have been done. He has no problems getting dressed and washed etc but some things he does need help with.

The Dr has recently done a ECG and blood test, I'm not sure what these were for but they explained to me that it had to be done before he could be seen at a memory clinic. His bloods and ECG have come back clear, not sure if this means he hasn't got dementia.

The memory clinic phoned me a couple of weeks ago asking me questions about my father and his symptoms and said it will be March sometime when I will get an appointment. So at the moment I'm just waiting for that appointment before things go further.

Can anyone tell me from their experience whether this might be signs of dementia or just his age? My opinion is it seems more than just age but I'm no professional. These things don't happen all day everyday, it can come and go but his memory is bad when it comes to dates, past events etc.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Danny84, welcome to TP. You will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

Yes, the things you have noticed with your Dad can be signs of dementia. However, they can also be signs of other, treatable, things and that is why the bloods etc is done.

When you Dad goes to the memory clinic various tests may be used and if they indicate dementia as a possibility I would put a little pressure on them to arrange scans if they aren't offered. My wife had to have a CT, an MRI and finally a PET scan done before Alzheimer's was specifically identified for her. The type of dementia is important as medications are available to slow some but not others.

Keep posting any questions and do have a good look at the fact sheets you will find on the AS site - the link is in the light blue box at the top right of this screen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Danny84 and welcome to Talking Point.

The time before diagnosis is always a worry - you wonder whether you are seeing things out of proportion.
The blood tests are done to see if there is anything like thyroid underaction or vitamin deficiency that can be causing the symptoms and ECGs are done to see if there is any heart problems.

I must say that doing things like putting (presumably unopened) tins in the fridge and confusing the phone with the TV remote are rather warning flags to me. Make sure that you go with him to the memory clinic so you an explain your concerns as it is very common for people with dementia to deny problems. The memory clinic may well say that they want someone who knows him go go with him for the appointment. You may find it helpful to keep a journal of when things happen and take it with you so that you can look it up more easily.

The memory clinic will do some tests and will probably want to do a scan before making a diagnosis.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping I would get an appointment fairly quickly but I will have to wait until March to be seen.

I will certainly push for any possible scans if they are not offered. I just wish I knew 1 way or the other, being left in limbo at the moment has things racing through your mind all the time. I hope he can get any medication sooner rather than later but I know it's going to take time.

Thanks again for that information, it is much appreciated.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Hello @Danny84 and welcome to Talking Point.

The time before diagnosis is always a worry - you wonder whether you are seeing things out of proportion.
The blood tests are done to see if there is anything like thyroid underaction or vitamin deficiency that can be causing the symptoms and ECGs are done to see if there is any heart problems.

I must say that doing things like putting (presumably unopened) tins in the fridge and confusing the phone with the TV remote are rather warning flags to me. Make sure that you go with him to the memory clinic so you an explain your concerns as it is very common for people with dementia to deny problems. The memory clinic may well say that they want someone who knows him go go with him for the appointment. You may find it helpful to keep a journal of when things happen and take it with you so that you can look it up more easily.

The memory clinic will do some tests and will probably want to do a scan before making a diagnosis.
Yes it is certainly a worry, I've been wondering if I'm making such a fuss about it with the Drs so the mind is all over the place.

The things he does made me think it was something more than just age yet he can do the crossword in the paper no problem, better than me infact so you start to think am I just overthinking it? Then when he does these confusing things it makes you think the other way.

I have been told to go with him to the memory clinic, I have started to write all these things down in a little notepad so I can recall myself at the time what confusing things he has been doing.

I just want the tests and diagnosis as quick as possible but I guess it's like that for other people also, the waiting and worrying is the worst.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'll start you off with this factsheet as it's a bit onerous having to click all the way to the full list:
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/download/downloads/id/3416/what_is_dementia.pdf

Basically, dementia is a lot more than just memory loss. It might start that way but it might also include orientation, language or visuospatial problems and mood and behavioural changes like hallucinations, delusions, confabulations or aggressive behaviour. It also often goes hand in hand with incontinence.

There are many different forms of dementia and only Alzheimer's and mixed (containing Alzheimer's) will trigger any dementia medication, I'm afraid.

I have to say I find this symptoms tracker quite useful:
http://alzlive.com/wp-content/uploa...-Dementia-Person-Centered-Symptom-Tracker.pdf
Filling this in might give you an indication on where his problems lie but it will not necessarily tell you whether he's got dementia as it's usually used for people already diagnosed. It might help you identify symptoms though.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
I'll start you off with this factsheet as it's a bit onerous having to click all the way to the full list:

Basically, dementia is a lot more than just memory loss. It might start that way but it might also include orientation, language or visuospatial problems and mood and behavioural changes like hallucinations, delusions, confabulations or aggressive behaviour. It also often goes hand in hand with incontinence.

There are many different forms of dementia and only Alzheimer's and mixed (containing Alzheimer's) will trigger any dementia medication, I'm afraid.

I have to say I find this symptoms tracker quite useful:

Filling this in might give you an indication on where his problems lie but it will not necessarily tell you whether he's got dementia as it's usually used for people already diagnosed. It might help you identify symptoms though.

Thanks for pointing me to this information, I will certainly read through it.

Well he certainly knows where he is and his surroundings so it isn't that bad at the moment. He doesn't have any problems communicating, just thinking when he is asked certain questions, he will have to think abit longer than the ordinary.

This part sounds closest to my fathers symptoms Vascular dementia - The symptoms of vascular dementia vary and may overlap with those of Alzheimer’s disease. Many people have difficulties with problem-solving or planning, thinking quickly and concentrating. They may also have short periods when they get very confused.

I will just have to wait until I get any results from tests/scans. The not knowing is the worst, you just want everything sorted right this minute but unfortunately it can't.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Well we have just been to the memory clinic today for the first time. Had a really long chat with the person there on what is happening and what he struggles with. I told them all my concerns about his memory.

He had to do a lengthy test to see what he was like and he did ok on some of them but others I know he got wrong. The question about the clock, draw a clock and put it at 10 past 5 he actually put it on 10 to 5. I'm not sure how well he done overall, I was told it has to be marked up and will know when they get back in touch.

They have told me they will give all this information to the consultants to review and they might want to do a CT scan at a later date. I was told I may have to wait around 8 weeks for the next appointment so I guess it's another waiting game. Personally I hope he gets the CT scan just to see if something is happening on the scan. I did find the lady very helpful and nice that saw us today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar