my Father's imminent death

cwhayman

Aug 9, 2016
As I type this I am sitting by my Father's bedside. We were called to the home 5 hours ago (having expected the call 'any day'). All the family have managed to come together so we have all told him we love him. He is unconscious, on medication, unable to eat or drink. We were advised that he was very ill and in the last stages of vascular dementia and Alzheimer's 10 days ago. I know that this is an impossible question ... Nobody quite knows what to do! We are in limbo until this awful disease comes to its inevitable conclusion. I know that yhrre are many more people out there also sitting eith a loved one waiting for a (hopefully) peaceful death to arive sooner or later.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
All you can do is be with him - hold and stroke his hand and keep telling him you love him. Be there for each other.

Wishing you strength. x

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
As I type this I am sitting by my Father's bedside. We were called to the home 5 hours ago (having expected the call 'any day'). All the family have managed to come together so we have all told him we love him. He is unconscious, on medication, unable to eat or drink. We were advised that he was very ill and in the last stages of vascular dementia and Alzheimer's 10 days ago. I know that this is an impossible question ... Nobody quite knows what to do! We are in limbo until this awful disease comes to its inevitable conclusion. I know that yhrre are many more people out there also sitting eith a loved one waiting for a (hopefully) peaceful death to arive sooner or later.

I was called to my Dad's imminent death on Thursday. His breathing had really changed, but surprisingly he perked up ever so slightly the next day. It's day 7 now of no food and extremely small amounts of fluid. What we went through as a family on Thursday was awful and i know it's going to happen very soon yet again. I feel for you and your family. I know what that part is like. Holding your virtual hand and hope you all have the strength to deal with such an awful situation. I do hope it's peaceful. Take care xx

cwhayman

Aug 9, 2016
Father's imminent death ...

I was called to my Dad's imminent death on Thursday. His breathing had really changed, but surprisingly he perked up ever so slightly the next day. It's day 7 now of no food and extremely small amounts of fluid. What we went through as a family on Thursday was awful and i know it's going to happen very soon yet again. I feel for you and your family. I know what that part is like. Holding your virtual hand and hope you all have the strength to deal with such an awful situation. I do hope it's peaceful. Take care xx[/QUOTE

Thank you Redd66 - this has been a long and draining day ... hopefully, for all of us, it will end soon x.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
So sad reading this. It is the most emotionally draining time, for all of you. I hope your father will pass peacefully, all you can do is try and be there. I was at home for a couple of hours, came back to hospice and mum died 10 mins later.. I was lucky, I guess, that I was there. Thinking of u all. Such a painful time. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thinking of you and your family. And you too, Red. An unreal sort of time, between two worlds. xx

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
I was called to my Dad's imminent death on Thursday. His breathing had really changed, but surprisingly he perked up ever so slightly the next day. It's day 7 now of no food and extremely small amounts of fluid. What we went through as a family on Thursday was awful and i know it's going to happen very soon yet again. I feel for you and your family. I know what that part is like. Holding your virtual hand and hope you all have the strength to deal with such an awful situation. I do hope it's peaceful. Take care xx[/QUOTE

Thank you Redd66 - this has been a long and draining day ... hopefully, for all of us, it will end soon x.

Just letting you know that I am thinking of you. Not that it helps! X

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
You and your family were there for your father and could do no more. There comes a point in time when sadly you do have to leave. People say that hearing is the last to go and if this is true he then knew that his family were there with him and that he was loved very much. Your father lived a good life on this earth and his life must be celebrated. Cherish the memories. Red xx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Both of my parents died without me present but I had been there only hours before. Have no regrets, you were there for your Dad when he needed you to be. Please accept my condolences too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello cwhayman
my condolences on the passing of your dad
he passed knowing you had all been there and surrounded him with love
may he rest in peace
best wishes to all your family

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Sending all my condolences. Sounded just like the way OH died, so I have a lot of sympathy for you.
(((((Hugs)))))

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
I'm so sorry. You are right.. Your dad is at peace, and I'm certain he knew your love for him. Sincere condolences. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point