My father in law

Princess M

May 20, 2010
My husband and I are concerned that his father has become more breathless
than usual recently and wondered if he had a chest infection AGAIN (as
he is prone to them). He is also gradually loosing weight as he won't
always swallow his drink and food. The Home are struggling to give him
enough, is there anything they can be done to help? We have asked the doctor to look at him.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Would they consider giving him the nutrition drinks that some people come to rely on?

Sometimes people do start to refuse food and drink: they are tired and it is the only decision left for them to make.

If the home is not able to tempt him - and he has not got an infection in his mouth - my experience is that it is best to accept that and respect that. But there are still plenty of ways of keeping people really comfortable.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Breathlessness - always has to be checked by a GP, when mum gets this it is normally fluid on her lungs. Needs checking now to be honest.

Princess M

May 20, 2010
Thank you for everyone's comments. We did get the doctor to look at him who says he thinks it may be a chest infection and he should be taken to hospital. An ambulance will be taking him to our local one in the next day or so. The comment about giving him drinks has already been tried and I also think it is the only thing he can think about. Very sad considering how active he used to be. This is truly a horrible way to go.

Princess M

May 20, 2010
My father in law is now in hospital. He was admitted into hospital with a chest infection but he was also very dehyderated and malnourished. He is now on a drip. My husband has been told that his father may very well go into home that deals with end of life care.