My Family and other Animals

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
This thread is about my family, our experience of dementia and memory loss and also the many animals we have had.

My father (now with early memory loss) has always been obsessed with animals since early childhood. He was a keen reader of the naturalist Gerald Durrell, hence the thread title. My father retired early, and spent many happy years breeding reptiles and amphibians and other exotic pets. I always helped him. Recently at 84, he has been finding it all a bit too much for him. We recently (thanks for asking @MaNaAk ) rehomed his tortoises (all 7 of them) to friends.

So I suppose this thread documents the experiences of memory loss in both my parents, but also our lifelong love of animals as a family.

My mother (who had mixed dementia, and died last year), was less keen on reptiles, but loved dogs and bird watching. We were very lucky in that her care home arranged bird feeders close to the window, so that she was able to watch them when she could not do much else. She also enjoyed aminal encounters at her care home. A company called Zoo Lab do animal sessions with exotics and Mummy amazed everyone my holding all the snakes, whilst the care home staff cowered in a corner! I told them she was used to it.

I have attached a picture of Mummy holding a baby goat. I went to see her one afternoon, not expecting much (she has been on a downward spiral) to find them wheeling in a large cage of baby goats. We had a lovely afternoon.

This thread has been a bit rambling but I suppose my musing are -

Animals (for our family) make everything better.
I am a firm supporter of animal therapy, for those who would like it. We wanted to set up a tank of tropical fish at Mummy's home, but sadly health and safety proved too difficult.
Rehoming animals is difficult when they can no longer be cared for properly. My father, whilst sad to see his tortoises go, was at a stage when he could still understand that it would be better for them. I feel terribly guilty, but believe it was the right time to to rehome them. Animals really are his life and like everything, gets taken over by dementia.
Just to to say, he still has his parrot.
Not exactly sure what I am trying to say here, but this has been on my mind.

Attachments

• 20200219_160029.jpg
    20200219_160029.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 124

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
I agree with you about the animal therapy and just wish it could be made available more easily. In my mums case she is nuts about cats and kittens, we always had a cat or two until the last very elderly one died about 10 years ago. That was before she started showing symptoms of Alzheimers and she was sensible enough to know that new pets when both she and dad were unsteady on their feet was not a good idea. But she always said whenever I saw her or spoke to her how much she missed her cats and I know she still does. Although she is in a small care home there are no pets and of course some people might be allergic to cats or dogs so I can see it would be difficult to do it safely. There are such things as cat cafes in Cardiff and Newport but mum is now beyond the stage of being able to enjoy a visit to one, being outside scares her now. I had thought about one of the realistic toy cats but I’m pretty sure she will know it isn’t real and reject it. So for now it’s cards and photos, and I am getting her a desktop type calendar for next year with cat pictures on it.

When she was still at home she quite liked to watch daytime TV adverts as they often have cute animals in them. She had no idea what she was watching, just that she like the animals!

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@CardiffGirlInEssex - I agree I wish there was more pets as therapy. Mummy's home had a therapy dog who visited, who was always popular. Very calm and they never seemed to have any issues.

Mummy's home said they would discuss residents bringing their pets with them, but I suspect this depended very much on their ability to look after them. I remember we joked that Mummy would bring one of Daddy's snakes with her. They weren't keen.

It may be worth trying a robot cat. The ones designed for children (still subject to stringent safety testing) may be cheaper than the ones marketed specifically for people with dementia.
I believe now there are dementia TV channels. Not sure if many/any homes have access to these. Apparently showing older films and calming programming. I feel I could do with some of that myself some days.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@MaNaAk - thank you - I hope we can see them. They laid some eggs recently, but this late in the season, I would be surprised if they hatched.