My envelopes are not closing.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The envelopes which show me I have read a post have stopped closing, so all posts keep showing as New Posts and I`m clicking on them to find I`ve already read them.
The small yellow V indicators continue to show too.

It is happening on both computers.

Is it happening to anyone else and if so does anyone know why?

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Seems fine to me too.

If it's happening on both your computers, it's most likely linked to your account (as it should be - keeping track of what you've read/posted to, etc.)

Have you changed any security settings on your machines or cleared out any cookies (the virtual kind)?

It's as if the system is not tracking your actions for some reason.

You could also try logging out of TP and signing back in again.

Sorry not to have more ideas.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Thanks for that Sylvia - I didn't even realise the envelopes close after reading:rolleyes::eek: - but they are:)

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I logged out and logged back in to find all envelopes closed, even to posts I know I have not read.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Well that's interesting :confused:

See what happens over the course of today as new threads appear and you reply to them.

If the system does not track these events as the day progresses then there maybe something that is preventing this information being recorded.

Until you mentioned it, I had not even really noticed the envelope icons - other than when a thread was locked of course :eek:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mine have been messing about for ages. If I close my browser and then open it again an hour or so later everything is new even though I have read it.

I am using Firefox - would that make a difference in why mine don't work?

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lemony,

Do you use the remember me feature when you log in or do you log in from scratch every time?

I use both Internet Explorer and Firefox, so I don't think it's a browser issue.

I don't know in detail how the TP software tracks what you've done online but these kinds of problems seem to result from your account not recording your transaction history accurately.

I think we will need to wait for the IT team at the Alzheimer's Society to weigh in on this issue before anything becomes really clear.

Take care,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's just happened to me! I closed down the site by accident and went on to do other stuff. Now when I've opened it up again I'm seeing threads where I have unread posts but when I look at them I've read them.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
ermmm?

Don't understand. :confused: What envelopes. I have seen envelopes
somewhere, red and blue ones, but they have no significance to me. Are they important, more to the point are they useful? What an I missing? :confused: :eek:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Chris,

Yes, some listings of posts on TP, such as browsing the Support forum or New Posts will display envelope icons on the left of the screen:

envelopes1.jpg

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, you will see this key that explains exactly what these icons mean:

envelopes2.jpg

I haven't paid that much attention to these myself, but it is a quick and easy way of seeing what threads have had new replies since you read them last.

Also, I was curious what it took to make a thread 'hot' by TP standards. So after looking around a bit, it seems that 150 or more views puts a thread in the sizzling category.

Take care,

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Envelopes

Hi and thank you for the explanation, Sandy. I shall have a look and seek out some sizzling hot threads! :D Thanks again, take care X