My departed Mother

Lovell

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Guys My Mother has just departed and was living in care, after her death the police was called and her body was taken away for examination by a coroner its called Dols I know is in place for the welfare of the patients but to find out about this at the last moment is very upsetting.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Lovell welcome from me too.

When my dad passed away suddenly last year in his care home I was shocked when I arrived to find the police there too. Dads body was taken to the coroners but they decided not to do an autopsy given his age and medical history.

My condolences. I know what a shock it is to find all those people involved.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Very sorry to hear the trauma you were put through.

However if the reason the police were called was solely because of the DoLs, and not because she had not recently been seen by a doctor prepared to certify the death, the home need updating on the 2017 legislation, the DoLs is effectively cancelled on death.

"50. With a death occurring on or after 3rd April 2017 any person subject to a DoL (i.e. a deprivation of liberty formally authorised under the MCA 2005) is no longer ‘in state detention’ for the purposes of the 2009 Act.

51 When that person dies the death should be treated as with any other death outside the context of state detention: it need only be reported to the coroner where one or more of the other requisite conditions are met.

https://www.courtofprotectionhub.uk...s-guidance-on-dols-published-in-force-3-april