My dear Nanna

Nat57

Apr 3, 2020
I’m hoping to seek some reassurance here.
My darling Nanna had a fall last week, and fractured her pelvis. This is the second break within 2 / 3 years. I had her released from hospital as soon as I could, as the Covid issue worstens, and there was nothing they were doing for her that I couldn’t do myself.
I underestimated how much she deteriorated in hospital
Now she’s point blank refusing to eat anything, I’ve tried sweet, savory, jelly, fruits and nothing is interesting her. She keeps saying she wants to die, but it’s hard to know if that’s the AD talking. She seems to have aged 10 years from before her fall last week and I just am torn what to do for the best.
I’ve learned that force feeding her is not a good idea, and I’ve tried her on glucose drinks, which she doesn’t react well to. The doctors have now prescribed her fortesip which I’m not convinced she’s going to want, and I worry if I try and swap it for water she will stop drinking water, as she’s stubborn and still holds grudges despite AD. She is also sleeping FAR more than ever. Usually around 20-23 hours per day. Only wakes up to wee or when I wake her up to drink more. When she does sleep she’s involuntarily reaching out and grabbing the air above her. She’s told me she thinks she’s dying, but does say she’s not in pain.
Is this end of life? I’ve read on here her hands and feet would be cold towards the end and they keep varying in temperature, so hard to say.
Have I done everything I possibly can? I’m so grateful she’s home with me and not in a hospital or worst (in her opinion) a care home, but want to make sure she has everything she needs and deserves, because she’s an absolute angel ??
Appreciate all opinions.
Thank you so much.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @NatalieMsHayden
It does sound as though your nanna may be nearing the of life. Do you gave support from the GP& district nurses?
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Nat57

Apr 3, 2020
@Cat27 Yes, I initially contacted GP to review her medication as I thought it was an appetite issue. The GP advises there was nothing on her meds list that would suppress her appetite. Next steps were to get her bowl movements which I managed a few times with laxatives and nothing changed. So I had another telephone consultation to which they referred me to hospice, and we decided she could stop a couple of meds which would destroy her stomach if she’s not eating.
District nurse came today, and she agrees with hospice care, and I think she will be assessed tomorrow.
Thank you for replying.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m glad she’s being assessed. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want or need. I wish you strength to get through this.