My dads confusion

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
My dad has had Alzheimer's for 2 years. Last night I had a phone call from my 87 year old mum ,dad is 86 .It was 8.45pm dad had woke up and was insisting on going to work as he'd left a tank of acid which may overflow and hurt someone .!!Mum tried to tell him his place of work was shut down 30 years ago ,she was sobbing when she called me as he was swearing and shouting and wouldn't listen .i went straight down ,got him sat on the settee with me holding his hand ,I said what's matter dad ? He told me everything that he had told mum ,then he wanted to go find his brothers who have all passed away ,I spoke calmly to him,stroked his hand ,gave him some hugs as he also was crying .I said lets get you ready for bed and I will make us all a cup of tea ,he agreed after one and a half hours he seemed to settle down ,thank goodness ,I've been down this morning he slept fine and was OK in himself ,mum is wandering how long she will be able to cope .Dad is on no medication as the tablets from the hospital didn't agree with him and gave him a bad stomach ,I'm just wandering if I should go see the doctor to see if there are any tablets that would help with his agitation or not ,any help would be appreciated,sorry it's a long post

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi Spitty, sorry your Dad is having a disturbed time. Yes Tell his GP, preferably going to the appointment with him and writing things down if necessary. Explain about the stress Mum is under too.

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
Dads confusion

Hi Spitty, sorry your Dad is having a disturbed time. Yes Tell his GP, preferably going to the appointment with him and writing things down if necessary. Explain about the stress Mum is under too.

Thankyou so much ,I will make the appointment on Monday

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I would like to say well done on how you handled the situation, it is difficult when everyone is under so much stress.

Glad you are going to visit your GP, hopefully he can help to calm your Dad.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
My dad has had Alzheimer's for 2 years. Last night I had a phone call from my 87 year old mum ,dad is 86 .It was 8.45pm dad had woke up and was insisting on going to work as he'd left a tank of acid which may overflow and hurt someone .!!Mum tried to tell him his place of work was shut down 30 years ago ,she was sobbing when she called me as he was swearing and shouting and wouldn't listen .i went straight down ,got him sat on the settee with me holding his hand ,I said what's matter dad ? He told me everything that he had told mum ,then he wanted to go find his brothers who have all passed away ,I spoke calmly to him,stroked his hand ,gave him some hugs as he also was crying .I said lets get you ready for bed and I will make us all a cup of tea ,he agreed after one and a half hours he seemed to settle down ,thank goodness ,I've been down this morning he slept fine and was OK in himself ,mum is wandering how long she will be able to cope .Dad is on no medication as the tablets from the hospital didn't agree with him and gave him a bad stomach ,I'm just wandering if I should go see the doctor to see if there are any tablets that would help with his agitation or not ,any help would be appreciated,sorry it's a long post

Fair dues Spitty, you handled your Dad's confusion very well. It is so difficult and some distraction may work sometimes and not at all the next time. Cup of tea works for me, as I say sometimes. Yes, make an appointment with doctor as he/she may be able to give different meds and monitor them.

Sending you loads of support,

Aisling

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
Dads confusion

Fair dues Spitty, you handled your Dad's confusion very well. It is so difficult and some distraction may work sometimes and not at all the next time. Cup of tea works for me, as I say sometimes. Yes, make an appointment with doctor as he/she may be able to give different meds and monitor them.

Sending you loads of support,

Aisling

Thankyou