my dad

losgiganyes

Feb 13, 2016
my dad had a stroke back in sept it has set off early onset dementia although not medically giagnosed he will be 97 this month hr is in special sheltered access carers on site do his meals he ha a microwave as not safe tp use a cooker can't even use the microwave since the stroke he has no interest in anything goes to bed at 7pm won't go out won't even go gown to the day centre down stairs I've bought crossword books jigsaws to no avail i lost my husband and have no children help me and don't drive i do his shopping cleaning washing and i am shattered I'm on a waiting list with age uk for help with shopping its so hard any health is suffering

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So sorry to hear about your dad's troubles and the situation you find yourself in losgiganyes. I'm not surprised that your health is suffering.

I hope that Age Uk manage to get you some help with the shopping soon. But it sounds as though your dad needs more help than you are able to give him. Does he have a Social Worker? Were any special arrangements put in place after he had the stroke?

It may help to phone the Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline on 0300 222 1122. You'll be able to discuss all your difficulties and they can advise you.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point, where I'm sure you'll get lots of friendly advice and support, as I have.

I'm so sorry that you're in this position, and you sound overwhelmed and exhausted. Has your dad had an assessment of his needs by social services? I believe you as his carer are also entitled to an assessment as to what help you need too.

Perhaps your GP could refer you to social services, or I think you can find their number in the phone book and ring them yourself.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you more help, hang on in there as you are not alone.