my dad

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
My dad has Alzheimer's and I have cared for him for the last few years and it has up till recently been manageable I work full time but my dad only lives across the road so I pop in every morning and every teatime I take him out for the day on my day off . He has a bus pass so goes every day on the bus to the sea side has his dinner then gets the bus back. Last week on returning home he got off at a different stop having drank a bottle of wine and fell over my son just happens to be on his way home and saw a crowd round his grandad well he was in hospital over a weekend and I have since got help one hour in the morning at at teatime but I am on pins when he goes out on the bus he has started an obsession with pilfering packets of bacon and bottles of wine has any body any ideas he is having an assesment tomorrow by the social services and I don't know what to suggest

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Does he pilfer the bacon & wine from the same shop? If so tell them what's going on & ask them to contact so you can pay for them.

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
Thankyou for your suggestion I have spoken to my local shop where he sometimes goes but yes I need to contact the shop I think he is going every day which is further away but yes I need to contact them

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
I found another bottle not paid for today I went to the shop and explains about my dad and paid for the bottle they were very nice and I gave them a photo of my dad with my phone number to contact me to pay for goods in the future.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Does your dad by any chance always wear the same coat or jacket? If so, could you put some sort of tracker in it? I know a mobile phone would work - but if he doesn't carry a phone (or the battery would go flat) - how about something like you would put on a dog collar?

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
Does your dad by any chance always wear the same coat or jacket? If so, could you put some sort of tracker in it? I know a mobile phone would work - but if he doesn't carry a phone (or the battery would go flat) - how about something like you would put on a dog collar?

Thanks its worth a look into I am looking at maybe a day centre I need yo try something soon because I am on pins when he goes out and the weather will get colder soonest

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thanks its worth a look into I am looking at maybe a day centre I need yo try something soon because I am on pins when he goes out and the weather will get colder soonest

You really do need to do something. So far, so good, he has always found his way home again. But dementia is a progressive illness. There may come a day when he will go out as usual, and not be able to find his way home. Here in Ireland, we had a tragedy a couple of years ago when a lady with dementia - still able to live at home, able to take her little dog for a regular walk every day - one day took her dog for their usual walk, and didn't find her way home. Sadly, she wasn't found until it was too late. She had walked around for something like 20km (but not terribly far, distance wise, from home), was spotted on various cctv cameras - but couldn't be found. When they found her body, a few days after she went missing, it seems she had just walked herself to exhaustion, found a quiet place and lay down. Her little dog stayed with her body, but sadly, the dog died some hours later. I'm not trying to frighten you - but there really needs to be something in place for keeping track of your dad when he goes out. Apart from the danger of him getting lost or helping himself to things from shops you don't know about, while the majority of people are nice and helpful, some are not and will take advantage.

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
You really do need to do something. So far, so good, he has always found his way home again. But dementia is a progressive illness. There may come a day when he will go out as usual, and not be able to find his way home. Here in Ireland, we had a tragedy a couple of years ago when a lady with dementia - still able to live at home, able to take her little dog for a regular walk every day - one day took her dog for their usual walk, and didn't find her way home. Sadly, she wasn't found until it was too late. She had walked around for something like 20km (but not terribly far, distance wise, from home), was spotted on various cctv cameras - but couldn't be found. When they found her body, a few days after she went missing, it seems she had just walked herself to exhaustion, found a quiet place and lay down. Her little dog stayed with her body, but sadly, the dog died some hours later. I'm not trying to frighten you - but there really needs to be something in place for keeping track of your dad when he goes out. Apart from the danger of him getting lost or helping himself to things from shops you don't know about, while the majority of people are nice and helpful, some are not and will take advantage.

That poor lady its a tragedy. I know its going to be a long road ahead so I do hope that the social worker on todays visit understands my concerns and I can get someting sorted asap