1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. ladyinblack

ladyinblack Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Hi everyone, my Mom has Alzheimers and my Dad has just been referred to the memory clinic - Help!!! :( (Thanks Jay x)

2. 100 miles

100 miles Registered User

Apr 16, 2015
    Hello LadyinBlack,

What a nightmare. What do you think about your Dad's memory? I guess you know lots about memory clinics from taking care of your Mum. But it is always worth writing down your observations about changes in your Dad and timescales...so you can pass it to the Dr.

Good luck

3. Linbrusco

Linbrusco Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Female
    Auckland...... New Zealand
    #3 Linbrusco, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Hi Jay, my Mum was diagnsoed with Alzheimers July 13. and following a memory test by Dads GP he was referred to our Memory Team this time last year.
    After having blood tests, CT scan, and extensive memory tests he was diagnosed with cognitive impairment. His memory was relative to his age. He is an ex amateur boxer, and his CT scan showed atrophy in his frontal lobes, ischemic changes ( maybe due to smoking?) and another area of damage which could be attributed to his boxing also.
    Makes things difficult especially in Dad understanding Mums Alzheimers, but you can only take one day at a time.
    With Dad they recommended him to read, do crosswords, keep active and join some groups or clubs.
    He has done nothing! He doesn't read books anymore, doesn't do crosswords as much and won't join in any new clubs. He is in his confort zone at the one club he does attend weekly.
    He has a Memory Team followup appt soon.