My Dad

Belleooo

Dec 2, 2014
Aberdeenshire, Soctland
My 83 year old Dad was diagnosed with dementia with Lewy bodies 3/4 years ago and I bought him into our home and became his full time carer. In November, he was admitted to hospital with bowel blockage. On xray they found a mass in his bowels. So suspected bowel cancer. Said he was too fragile to investigate further and basically sent him home once nursing care was completed. The bowel thing wasn't very pleasant. What came from there was nasty, and his tummy was forever making horrible grumbles. He was in pullups to control leakage. However it wasn't the bowel cancer, or the heart disease he had been plagued with for some 20 years. It was dementia that dominated our daily lives. What a cruel and wicked disease. Robbed a man of his memories. Of his family, because final months he had no idea whom we were. He was being spoon fed. And was in a constant state of confusion. Last night I put him to bed at 10.30pm, unusually late for him. He was sat up and seemed alert even though he had a distant and confused look about him. I walked him to his room. Emptied his catheter, and he complained of pain whilst rubbing his chest. I laid him down but could tell this was serious. I comforted him, gave him his spray and he lost consciousness. 50 minutes later his death was declared. In a way I'm pleased it ended this way. Though my heart is broken. A death due to bowel cancer or Dementia would have been cruel. Heart Attack saved him from this cruel cruel fate that we knew was awaiting him. God bless Dad x

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Oh, Belleooo!

I am so sorry for all of it. It was cruel and unkind, indeed. But yes, I agree, your Dad had the last word in how he was going out. Bless you.

My 83 year old Dad was diagnosed with dementia with Lewy bodies 3/4 years ago and I bought him into our home and became his full time carer. In November, he was admitted to hospital with bowel blockage. On xray they found a mass in his bowels. So suspected bowel cancer. Said he was too fragile to investigate further and basically sent him home once nursing care was completed. The bowel thing wasn't very pleasant. What came from there was nasty, and his tummy was forever making horrible grumbles. He was in pullups to control leakage. However it wasn't the bowel cancer, or the heart disease he had been plagued with for some 20 years. It was dementia that dominated our daily lives. What a cruel and wicked disease. Robbed a man of his memories. Of his family, because final months he had no idea whom we were. He was being spoon fed. And was in a constant state of confusion. Last night I put him to bed at 10.30pm, unusually late for him. He was sat up and seemed alert even though he had a distant and confused look about him. I walked him to his room. Emptied his catheter, and he complained of pain whilst rubbing his chest. I laid him down but could tell this was serious. I comforted him, gave him his spray and he lost consciousness. 50 minutes later his death was declared. In a way I'm pleased it ended this way. Though my heart is broken. A death due to bowel cancer or Dementia would have been cruel. Heart Attack saved him from this cruel cruel fate that we knew was awaiting him. God bless Dad x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Belleooo how sad. As you say at least the end was quick. Sending my condolences.

DIANE69

Jan 7, 2014
wirral
I am so sorry.Yes a wicked cruel disease.When I remember my husband I try to forget those last horrible months and concentrate on all my pre dementia memories.