My dad

Stella18

Jul 20, 2020
Hi we think my dad might have dementia but we are struggling to get a diagnosis with the doctor over the phone. Is there any medication that might help slow down the process or help with his anxiety. At the moment he won’t let my mum out of his sight and constantly asks if she still loves him. He wants her to sit with him all the time and she can’t leave the house other than to whIzz to the shops.

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
Hi....it's very difficult now with this lockdown and doctors not seeing people face to face.really your Doctor needs to refer your Dad to a memory clinic where he can be fully assessed.Usually,they have a brain scan to enable the consultant to see if there is damage to the brain and to what extent....I would perhaps contact your Dad's GP,or your Mum ring them and get the ball rolling,as there is medication that can halt the progress of dementia somewhat,but it doesn't always work.Your first port of call is your Dad's GP...you need a referal.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Emmagooch and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a further chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. or at least consider these issues if that can be done at the moment. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Is it worth keeping a diary of your Dads symptoms?

with my mum in the early stages I would just observe her and look for the symptoms that id read about.

It was difficult because she refused to go to her GP and would let me have access to her medical records.

i never did get a diagnosis but she agreed to an MRI scan for some reason but she wouldnt share the results.

It was really frustrating because I knew something really wrong With mum.

What I didin the end was speak to Mums gp on the phone a yeat after Mums first symptoms and reD out my diary to the GP. Although it wasnt a diagnosis the gpsort of agreed it was dementia by what I’d read out.

i was hamstrung by data protection.

The GP rang me to see if could get mum in the surgery for a well woman test which we both thought wouldnt work. However she did tell me Mum was seen prior to her MRI scan and dementia was mentioned.

its so difficult and dementia sufferers think that theyre okay.

Could you try the well man test?

Just a thought.