My dad

Zacksowner

Sep 10, 2019
Hello,

My dad passed away on 13 August 2019. He was in a nursing home from March 2017.
He went steadily downhill at the home. He lost the ability to walk completely and had to be helped by a staff with all his food. He suffered a seizure lasting over an hour which he managed to somehow survive and was admitted were he suffered for two weeks before finally succumbing to the disease.

Anyone whose relative who has recently been diagnosed, I would say be aware that dealing with the relevant agencies can be a slog. Not necessarily their fault but they do not have the requisite staff. Choosing a nursing home is also difficult, we choose one where the matron had been there for years , she left 2 weeks later! Research, look at CQC reports and visit a short list.

The decline of the loved one, is very hard and my dad was better some days than others, the last time I saw him before his seizure we had a laugh and a joke.

Be patient as you will need to be and try to remember them as they were.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Zacksowner and welcome to DTP although I’m sorry for the reason you needed to find us
My sincere condolences for your loss and wishing you and your family strength for the future.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hello,

My dad passed away on 13 August 2019. He was in a nursing home from March 2017.
He went steadily downhill at the home. He lost the ability to walk completely and had to be helped by a staff with all his food. He suffered a seizure lasting over an hour which he managed to somehow survive and was admitted were he suffered for two weeks before finally succumbing to the disease.

Anyone whose relative who has recently been diagnosed, I would say be aware that dealing with the relevant agencies can be a slog. Not necessarily their fault but they do not have the requisite staff. Choosing a nursing home is also difficult, we choose one where the matron had been there for years , she left 2 weeks later! Research, look at CQC reports and visit a short list.

The decline of the loved one, is very hard and my dad was better some days than others, the last time I saw him before his seizure we had a laugh and a joke.

Be patient as you will need to be and try to remember them as they were.
Thank you for sharing your story and I’m sorry to hear about your dad. May I ask, was the seizure unexpected? I never thought about that possibility?