My Dad

Nette.B

Aug 24, 2017
Last week was the first realisation of how far my Dad's dementia has got. Firstly I'm not new to dementia, sadly I lost my uncle who was 67 last year (I also cared for him as he had never married) but we were sat at an appointment for my Mum (both my parents are in their 80s ) and I knew if I were to walk out my Dad wouldn't know where he was, why he was there or how to get home. At that point my heart broke, I'm sorry but I don't have anyone to share this with as I am classed as the carer of my family. Dad was diagnosed last year with vascular dementia.

IWonder

Jun 11, 2017
Michigan
Last week was the first realisation of how far my Dad's dementia has got. Firstly I'm not new to dementia, sadly I lost my uncle who was 67 last year (I also cared for him as he had never married) but we were sat at an appointment for my Mum (both my parents are in their 80s ) and I knew if I were to walk out my Dad wouldn't know where he was, why he was there or how to get home. At that point my heart broke, I'm sorry but I don't have anyone to share this with as I am classed as the carer of my family. Dad was diagnosed last year with vascular dementia.
My dad was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I hadn’t experienced dementia up close and personal until that point. I grieved. I went through shock, sadness, anger and now acceptance. It feels like a difficult road, but I know my moms journey is more difficult. I’m glad you shared. It does feel like a lonely road sometimes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Nette.B I'm glad you were able to share here. I hope it helps a little.

As @IWonder says it can be a lonely road and it is certainly a form of grief.

Thinking of you both.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Nette.B
I'm glad you thought to come to TP - it definitely helps to be able to share with the members here, who understand and sympathise
I had a similar moment earlier this year - I know in my head how my dad is, maybe my heart was a few steps behind, but head and heart caught up and I just crashed for a while - I agree @IWonder what I felt was grief
.... but it is what it is and we carry on, much helped by the support here
so now you've started, keep posting

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
hello @Nette.B
I'm glad you thought to come to TP - it definitely helps to be able to share with the members here, who understand and sympathise
I had a similar moment earlier this year - I know in my head how my dad is, maybe my heart was a few steps behind, but head and heart caught up and I just crashed for a while - I agree @IWonder what I felt was grief
Yes, thank you so much for posting. I have moments like this every time social services get involved to try to see if my husband has capacity (he has had six assessments for this now - why???). They ask him questions and he replies with bill and ben flowerpot men language, and my heart is broken all over again. Have had one of them this week as a test for his deprivation of liberty now that he is in nursing home. Liberty? The man cannot stand up. Good to hear from you.

IWonder

Jun 11, 2017
Michigan
Yes. From the onset I have been tasked with taking my dad and Mom to the hospital for assessments. I crashed when my dad grew threatening to my mom because he could no longer drive and demanded car keys. We agreed to get him to the hospital and they kept him to adjust his medications. I told my dad I would stay as long as he wanted me there. My mom and sister left me alone with him. An hour later he demanded to leave and motioned to me to come on. I felt like a lost child on what to do. I followed him around as he checked doors to get out. Nursing staff finally said it would be easier for him if I left, but were nice enough not to force me. I believe I could have stayed as long as I wanted. I left and emotionally I crumbled. This is a rough journey.
Yes, thank you so much for posting. I have moments like this every time social services get involved to try to see if my husband has capacity (he has had six assessments for this now - why???). They ask him questions and he replies with bill and ben flowerpot men language, and my heart is broken all over again. Have had one of them this week as a test for his deprivation of liberty now that he is in nursing home. Liberty? The man cannot stand up. Good to hear from you.
hello @Nette.B

SiJol

May 23, 2018
My dad has vascular dementia. For him, because he doesn't realise what's going on as much as I do it's not as painful for him as it is for me. Best Wishes,

Nette.B

Aug 24, 2017
Thank you to all who replied to my little out burst. I am back to my more positive self, I'm not normally someone who wallows as an optimist by nature. But like most people there are days when things can become a bit much. So again thank you