my dad"s , may be last days in 12 years of journey through dementia/alzhemir.

sunil

Nov 29, 2020
After 12 years of Alzheimer to my dad(81), now finally time may be coming to be ready for the worst. Today he did not eat food, hard to drink water too. Sleeping 16 hrs a day. Problem in urine pass and long toilet(as always). what really are the very last days symptoms???? In this time of covid 19 its more risk to go to hospital as well. what is tube feeding ? can it work well? I think my dad may need it if he continue not eating for 3 more days.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome @sunil you've find lots of support and advice here. It's difficult to know for sure if your dad may be nearing end of life, and it could be possible that he has some sort of infection as the symptoms you are describing are similar. Has he been seen by a doctor recently? As you say, hospitals are not the best places at the moment, but I think that your dad needs to be checked over medically so I suggest that you give his doctor a call, or if you are in the UK you can also call 111 for advice. It wouldn't mean that they would automatically take your dad to hospital but they would be able to offer you advice and if necessary send someone out to check him over.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hallo @sunil

I am sorry to hear about your dad. As others have said - he needs to see a doctor to find out what is happening. It is difficult to say whether he is at End of Life, or whether there is something else going on, like an infection. If its an infection, antibiotics might be the thing and, even if he has reached End of Life, there is medication that can keep him pain free and comfortable that the doctor can prescribe, so do please contact your GP and explain.

sunil

Nov 29, 2020
I am blessed to hear from these many people, and thanks to this forum which I have discovered today while surfing net. Well, we are from Nepal and live in Kathmandu. We have private doctor visiting every 3 month. We get advice through what’s up other time. Though the changes in health and complication we see in my father in recent months is making us worrying more than usual. Thx again for the caring words . I will surely inform our doctor about his condition.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @sunil.

Three months is a long time between your doctor's visits and I hope they may be able to see your dad more frequently if his condition deteriorates. The doctor maay not be able to stop the progression of Alzheimer`s but they may be able to reassure you everything is being done to keep him comfortable.

If your father is not able to drink, you can keep his lips moist with a wet cloth or sponge

sunil

Nov 29, 2020
Welcome @sunil.

Three months is a long time between your doctor's visits and I hope they may be able to see your dad more frequently if his condition deteriorates. The doctor maay not be able to stop the progression of Alzheimer`s but they may be able to reassure you everything is being done to keep him comfortable.

If your father is not able to drink, you can keep his lips moist with a wet cloth or sponge
@Grannie , thanks for the wet lips idea. Today he is feeling better, starting to eat and drink as before. This whole month has become unpredictable changes in his health. Thanks for the advice .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @sunil

Thank you for clarifying where you live. I had assumed that you live in UK.
Im glad to hear that your dad has started eating again. Im afraid that this constand up and down of symptoms is typical of the final stages. My mum was like this in her final year. Three times everyone thought she was at end of life, only fer her to rally and start eating again. It is an emotional strain.

I thought this link to a hospice site might help clarify what will happen when your dad reaches end of life.