1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

My dad needs head caresses

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by misinito, Feb 9, 2015.

1. misinito

misinito Registered User

Feb 9, 2015
    Hello. Me and my mum baffled by this: my dad seems obsessed with taking her hand up to his head, and she needs to leave there, or pat him gently. No idea why. One theory she has is that it's a regression to babyhood, when his head was supported by someone else?

Has anybody encountered this or knows about it?

Thanks!

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Im sorry, Ive no idea, but if its not doing any harm - why not comply?

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    OH likes his head and/or back rubbed, but then, he always did. But it nearly always calms him down.

4. misinito

misinito Registered User

Feb 9, 2015
    just confused

It's not a problem as such, but eventually my mum does need to do other than that. It does calm him down... for a few seconds:rolleyes:

5. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    This might feel like out of left field but how about putting a nice comfy hat or cap on him, even inside the house? It might mimick the comfort touch can give.

6. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    My mum likes to have her hair combed, washed, curled and under the hair dryer for 10 minutes. She also loves a warmed Lavender wheat bag, wrapped around her neck in an old fur collar. Maybe a lavender wheat bag would work for you.