My dad has vascular dementia

Annie1900

May 12, 2015
Aberdare, South Wales
My dad is 88 and has VD and lives on his own with carers coming in 4 times a day. My husband and I are both on pensions and we live 6 miles away in the next valley. My son also lives at home with us. We decided to convert our garage into an annex for my dad to come and live with us where he'd have his own place yet still be part of the family. The idea being that we can keep a closer eye on him. Due to builder problems this work was put on hold and now to confuse things even more we have been approached by a local supermarket offering to buy our house so they can extend.
We have had our house valued and the supermarket chain is offering a % above the market value. The problem we now have is that to purchase a large enough property we need to pay more than we are going to receive if we sell even with the extra %. My dad owns his house so we'd need to sell it for him to move in with us. I'm the only sibling and have POA to deal with all his financial affairs. Would we be allowed to use part of the proceeds from the sale of his house to put towards buying the new property which would be dads new home as well as ours. Or should I seek legal advice from a solicitor?
I hope I'm making sense in explaining this.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
a] If that's a first offer, I'd ask the supermarket for more on the grounds you don't want to move and you're not incurring any costs for the move. That you were just about to convert your garage for your dad and will have to get him used to the idea that he is moving to a house he doesn't know at all now. Lay it on with a trowel.
b] Seek advice - if you don't want to pay a solicitor, phone AgeUK and/or the Alzheimer' Society in the first place.
c] You may need a solicitor anyway.

Annie1900

May 12, 2015
Aberdare, South Wales
RedLou;1099811

a] If that's a first offer, I'd ask the supermarket for more on the grounds you don't want to move and you're not incurring any costs for the move. That you were just about to convert your garage for your dad and will have to get him used to the idea that he is moving to a house he doesn't know at all now. Lay it on with a trowel.
b] Seek advice - if you don't want to pay a solicitor, phone AgeUK and/or the Alzheimer' Society in the first place.
c] You may need a solicitor anyway.

Thanks RedLou for your reply. Yes this is the first offer they have made and we will be replying with our terms and conditions that will be explaining our situation and will lay it on with a trowel.
I wil give age concern a call for a chat regarding the situation and find out if we will need a solicitor. Thanks again for the reply.