My dad has passed....

Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
So yesterday my dad with Vascular Dementia lost his fight against Covid-19.

His Care Home had rung for an ambulance after he had been unwell for a couple of days with sickness bug.

He was tested positive for Covid and we just knew he would not cope. He had COPD amongst other medical conditions.

He put up a good fight, until Monday evening when we got the call that he was deterioating. Another call came on Tuesday morning for us to say our goodbyes.

The last time I had seen my dad was when we dropped him off at the Care Home for respite (my mum had been admitted into hospital).

I saw my dad at 7.30 yesterday morning and was so so grateful that I could replace the last memory.

He was calm and looked at peace. I'll held his hand and told him how much I loved him and how everyone was asking after him.

It was the first time since the evil Dementia came that my dad didn't look anxious and it melted my heart.

Less than 4 hours later the nurse rang to tell me he had closed his eyes and gone to sleep. She was with him holding his hand.

It's heartbreaking and our world is broken, but he's at peace.

It's going to be a difficult time with the funeral arrangements with everything that is going on in the world. But we will get throught.

This is my last post on here.

I wanted to thank you all so very very much for your kind words and advice given over the time I have used this forum. You have been there for me when I was at rock bottom and even managed to inject some humour to keep me going.

My work colleagues have set up a Tribute in my Dad's name and this is donations to The Alzheimer's Society.

One day there will be a cure for Dementia, until then, continue to help each other.

I hope you all can keep safe and well during these scary times.

Much love

x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so so sorry to hear this, but I am glad you managed to say your goodbyes and it must be a comfort to know that he was so peaceful and the carer was holding his hand, so he was not alone
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
Im so so sorry to hear this, but I am glad you managed to say your goodbyes and it must be a comfort to know that he was so peaceful and the carer was holding his hand, so he was not alone
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
@canary it was such a comfort, it meant the world. I appreciate your many hugs :) x

One thing I forgot to include in my post was just how in ore of the medical staff we as a family were. They worked so very hard and nothing was too much trouble. They all deserve huge respect for their efforts to keep our sick relatives safe when they are in such danger themselves.

I will continue to clap for the NHS every Thursday. I am also clapping for the carers who are calling to check on my poor mum 4 times a day and also the staff who are looking after our loved ones in the Care Homes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news.

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength. Please stay with the forum. You I’ll continue to find lots of help and support as the days go on.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

His Care Home had rung for an ambulance after he had been unwell for a couple of days with sickness bug.

He was tested positive for Covid and we just knew he would not cope. He had COPD amongst other medical conditions.

He put up a good fight, until Monday evening when we got the call that he was deterioating. Another call came on Tuesday morning for us to say our goodbyes.

The last time I had seen my dad was when we dropped him off at the Care Home for respite (my mum had been admitted into hospital).

I saw my dad at 7.30 yesterday morning and was so so grateful that I could replace the last memory.

He was calm and looked at peace. I'll held his hand and told him how much I loved him and how everyone was asking after him.

It was the first time since the evil Dementia came that my dad didn't look anxious and it melted my heart.

Less than 4 hours later the nurse rang to tell me he had closed his eyes and gone to sleep. She was with him holding his hand.

It's going to be a difficult time with the funeral arrangements with everything that is going on in the world. But we will get throught.

I wanted to thank you all so very very much for your kind words and advice given over the time I have used this forum. You have been there for me when I was at rock bottom and even managed to inject some humour to keep me going.

My work colleagues have set up a Tribute in my Dad's name and this is donations to The Alzheimer's Society.

One day there will be a cure for Dementia, until then, continue to help each other.

Much love

x

Dear Mumof3kids,

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. Treasure that last memory and remind yourself that your dad is at peace. I'm also thinking of your mum.

Love

MaNaAk

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019

Much love

x
So sorry to hear about the sad loss of your Dad no matter how far the dementia has taken them nothing prepares you for losing them especially during this difficult time. Cling onto your Mum she needs you, and you'll be a great comfort to each other x

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
So very sorry to hear your news, but so glad for you that your were able to say goodbye and found such comfort in the amazing work those in the care profession do. Thank you for your posts here too: every post helps because they all reassure everyone else that they are not alone :) X

Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful messages. And yes it absolutely made the difference in me being able to say my Goodbye.

I truly hope you and your loved ones can stay safe and well during these uncertain and scary times.

Lots of love xx

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Much love

x
Dear Mumof3kids,

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad but try to think that he is no longer suffering.

Love

MaNaAk