My dad has passed away this morning

huggie

Apr 29, 2019
Hello lovely people, I have only been on this support page for less than a week. My dad was diagnosed with dementia with lewy bodies and parkinsonism in November 2018. He had gone down hill this last couple of months and was put on palliative care on Friday. They fitted him with a driver for medication on Monday and had been out of it for most of the time until this morning at 6.30ish. My mum woke me and my hubby up saying that he was making a noise when breathing. We came in to have a look and it was quite apparent that he wouldn't be with us for long. I tried ringing nurses but they were out on calls but thankfully an out of hours G.P was across the road at the local hospital. It took him 5-10 minutes to be at our door just as dad was taking his final breath. No longer in pain, no longer suffering with that awful disease. I am numb! We knew this day was coming but just didn't expect it so soon. I can say that he passed peacefully as he wanted at home with all his family around him. Loving and caring for him til the end. I am more than devastated but I know hes better off now. Worst day ever! I am shattered but cannot sleep. So much going round in my head I just cant settle. It feels like something is missing in the house and not right. I don't know how I should feel! Im gutted that he's gone but im also relieved. That just feels wrong. I know good memories will come but when one does come through , I just cry again. My eyes are so sore from crying already. I don't know how I will cope at the funeral. Dementia, you suck! I hope the research finds your weak spot soon so they can get rid of you and save other families from this nightmare. Thank you for ready my long post, I think I just needed to get it out x x

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Sorry for your loss huggie.
Your dad is now at peace.. At least he didn't suffer for a long time and went peaceful at home.
Take care of yourself and remember the good times.
Sending hugs Rose x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It a thought time when a parent passes.

Please accept my condolences.

The forum members will be here to support you so feel free to post whenever you need to.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss @huggie. I'm glad that your dad passed idea efully at home with you all.

I know that this is a cliche but you will be on a roller coaster of emotions now. I'm glad you were able to share here and hope it helped a little. Please keep coming here as you will find support and understanding as you go through the next days and weeks.

Wishing you strength.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Big hugs & condolences going out to you @huggie - i’m glad that your dad was able to pass peacefully & at home & yes that it was quite a quick journey for you all from diagnosis but hopefully, he did not suffer at all.

It is true, you are on a real rollercoaster of emotions when a loved one dies. You might feel numb, you might cry, you might be really strong & you might feel relief or all of those things. Don’t worry, it is all normal.

For the first few weeks, I felt like I was treading through treacle & my brain didn’t work very well but this week, I have picked up from that but it has only been just over a month since my mum passed away. Everyone is different & please find time to be good to yourself xx

Jintyf

Jun 14, 2013
So sad for your loss and your suffering at this saddest time.

Cry all you need to - get it all out. Then if you need to cry some more. That's no sign of weakness - only an expression of the depth of your love for your father. We all do these things in our own way,

I'm was feeling really down recently with Mum just in Nursing Home for a month and I'm struggling to cope with the changes.

Big hug.

I came across this quotation earlier today. It felt uplifting to me.

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” — Kahlil Gibran

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I am so sorry for your loss. Death no matter how it happens can be a shock to come to terms with, be kind to yourself, take comfort from others, things will get better. Elle x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Sending you loving prayers, be kind to yourself during this fragile time. alice, x

Skylight99

Jan 18, 2015
hi Huggie

I am three weeks along from using my mum. I can’t quite believe it. Still finding my way through all the practicalities. You will get there....so sorry for your loss x

huggie

Apr 29, 2019
I would just like to say a massive thank you to all you lovely people who sent me such supportive messages. They have really meant a lot. Still not sure how I feel but been kept busy by sorting out the funeral. Will be so strange after that as we will not know what to do with all the spare time. Keep smiling all of you beautiful people x x