My dad has had dementia for 6 yrs now

TeresaJ

Aug 7, 2022
My father has struggled with Dementia for about 6 years now. My mom has been his sole care giver. I am in the process of buying a home and moving them to the state where I reside. We are hoping this doesn’t take a drastic turn for him. I can relate to other posts where dementia patients are throwing things away. We can’t keep my dad out of the fridge! He will throw out and pour out items we have just purchased! And when we tell him that he’s done this he gets very irate. We’ll tell him to sit down but he’s right back up again about 30 seconds later. We understand we’re going to have to buy locks for the fridge and freezer. Baby proof everything. When they came for a visit not too long ago he threw out all of my personal things that were on my bathroom counter. I will still have to work so looking into a home nurse for him while I’m away is something we’re gonna have to do to take the stress and pressure off my mom. Does anyone know what the next stage is?!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @TeresaJ and welcome to Talking Point.

You certainly sound like you have got your hands full there. Definitely go for a lock on the fridge/freezer and put other things out of sight (and maybe lock them too!)

Unfortunately, its impossible to predict what the next stage will be, or when it will happen, because everyone with dementia is different. Symptoms can occur in different orders and no-one gets all the possible symptoms. It would be lovely to be able to predict the next problem and prepare for it, but you can only react to things as they arise. Dont try and plan for things too far in advance, otherwise you could end up planning for something that never happens and then blind-sided by something you didnt consider.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @TeresaJ

We are hoping this doesn’t take a drastic turn for him

I hope so too but I’m sure it will be a wonderful move for your mother to be nearer to you and after six years of being the primary carer she certainly deserves some pleasure in her life.

My husband and I moved from the north west of the UK to the south east to be nearer our son and family.

This move caused my husband to become disoriented in a place he had visited regularly for years and eventually dementia was diagnosed.

Even though our retirement plans were spoiled the move turned out to be the best for me. I had family help and support when my husband was ill within minutes and since he died this support has increased and I can only say it`s the best move I have ever made.

I wish you luck. I hope your father does have some pleasant times with you and I’m sure your mother will have a new lease of life

TeresaJ

Aug 7, 2022
Hello @TeresaJ and welcome to Talking Point.

You certainly sound like you have got your hands full there. Definitely go for a lock on the fridge/freezer and put other things out of sight (and maybe lock them too!)

Unfortunately, its impossible to predict what the next stage will be, or when it will happen, because everyone with dementia is different. Symptoms can occur in different orders and no-one gets all the possible symptoms. It would be lovely to be able to predict the next problem and prepare for it, but you can only react to things as they arise. Dont try and plan for things too far in advance, otherwise you could end up planning for something that never happens and then blind-sided by something you didnt consider.
Thank you so much and I will definitely keep all of this in mind. I’m so happy I’ve found this forum and to know that someone is always here to listen and offer advice.

TeresaJ

Aug 7, 2022
Hello @TeresaJ

I hope so too but I’m sure it will be a wonderful move for your mother to be nearer to you and after six years of being the primary carer she certainly deserves some pleasure in her life.

My husband and I moved from the north west of the UK to the south east to be nearer our son and family.

This move caused my husband to become disoriented in a place he had visited regularly for years and eventually dementia was diagnosed.

Even though our retirement plans were spoiled the move turned out to be the best for me. I had family help and support when my husband was ill within minutes and since he died this support has increased and I can only say it`s the best move I have ever made.

I wish you luck. I hope your father does have some pleasant times with you and I’m sure your mother will have a new lease of life
@Grannie G
I am so very sorry to hear about your husbands passing. My dad has always loved visiting AZ where I reside and says he can’t wait to move here. But that’s exactly what we’re afraid of, him being disoriented and not understanding that he is home now. The home they have shared together they have been in for 25 years. My mom definitely deserves the break from the stress of his decline. It’s been very rough on her. Thank you for your kind words and I hope you have been able to find peace and happiness in your life again.