My dad died last night

Tragicuglyducky

Apr 4, 2016
Hello everyone. I got a call last night from the care home to say my dad passed away. I don’t fully know the circumstances yet but he had been declining these past few days.

Im not yet at the relief stage but despite the niggling guilt demon I feel like it was the best I could have hoped for. I feel terribly sad for him that he didn’t get to see us before he went because of lockdown. I know that he was unhappy these past few days. But I am also glad he didn’t die of corona struggling to breathe. And I’m glad he didn’t reach the end stages of dementia. I can at least remember him as a cantankerous old man shuffling about still exerting his independence who to his best but limited ability loved me and and my brother.

P.s. I’m also looking forward to a quiet funeral

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Tragicuglyducky(exceptyouareabeautifulswan),

I am so sorry to hear about your lovely dad. My dad passed away fairly sudden as well although not as sudden as your dad and like your dad he could still remember me. Do not feel guilty because we all hope that our loved ones will be released from this terrible illness but do feel proud of yourself for having done the best for your dad.

Hugs from

MaNaAk

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hello everyone. I got a call last night from the care home to say my dad passed away. I don’t fully know the circumstances yet but he had been declining these past few days.

Im not yet at the relief stage but despite the niggling guilt demon I feel like it was the best I could have hoped for. I feel terribly sad for him that he didn’t get to see us before he went because of lockdown. I know that he was unhappy these past few days. But I am also glad he didn’t die of corona struggling to breathe. And I’m glad he didn’t reach the end stages of dementia. I can at least remember him as a cantankerous old man shuffling about still exerting his independence who to his best but limited ability loved me and and my brother.

P.s. I’m also looking forward to a quiet funeral
sending love & light
(((((((hugs))))))))

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m sorry for your loss @Tragicuglyducky . I lost my dad unexpectedly almost a year and a half ago. Like yours he knew me to the end and like you I’m glad he didn’t have to go through the very late stages of dementia. I’m glad your dad didn’t either.

I hope the funeral goes as well as it can do.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to read of your loss @Tragicuglyducky.

I can at least remember him as a cantankerous old man shuffling about still exerting his independence who to his best but limited ability loved me and and my brother.

That made me smile!

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength,

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I'm so sorry my lovely, it can be a bitter sweet time, the sadness of losing someone but the reliefe of not seeing them suffer.

God bless

Konce

Feb 27, 2020
London
Sorry about the loss of your Dad Tragicuglyducky, have just joined and already feel as though I've found a place where I can vent my feelings and understand what some of you are going through...
My mum is 82 years old and has got dementia. She was admitted into local hospital as she can't eat/drink properly and was in agony - due to just being diagnosed (2 days ago) with cancer in the right lung that has spread to the lymph nodes and ribs.
I feel so guilty and angry that I did not see any signs to make mum go to the Dr earlier.
I am now wondering if mum knew anything about the cancer. I cannot talk or ask mum as she is deteriorating fast Mum doesn't even know who I am now and that hurts.