1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

my Dad, broken hip, fixed and pneumonia.....

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by wobbly, Dec 20, 2015.

1. wobbly

wobbly Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    Mid Wales
    #1 wobbly, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    :(

2. wobbly

wobbly Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    Mid Wales
    we lost my Dad on tues 22nd, even though we were expecting it it was still so hard. So many mixed emotions.....relief that he isn't suffering any more, he had broken his hip and had pneumonia, and awful sadness that he was gone :( The care home staff were as we knew they would be, absolutely brilliant, so caring, nothing too much trouble and they were genuinely sad, he was a real character bless him. I know now I did the right thing fighting to bring him back to his "home", the look of relief and contentment when the ambulance staff put him into his bed was so worth it. He came home to the home on tuesday and on the friday the GP decided it was end of life care from now on, which I was relieved about but also felt guilty about, it was very hard for us too but we only ever wanted the best for him. We stayed with him day and night and he passed peacefully away on the tuesday morning. For that I'm glad, he is free now.....

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Oh wobbly I am so sorry.

4. DMac

DMac Registered User

Jul 18, 2015
    Female
    Surrey, UK
    Sweet dreams for your poor dad, he is at peace now. A rest and relief for you. Take care. xxx

5. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    So sorry xxx you are right, he is at peace now and I hope that you have some peaceful days. Take care x

6. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Condolences, wobbly.

7. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Sorry for your loss Wobbly
    xx

8. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    So glad you were able to get your dad back to the home, where the staff knew him. You certainly have done your very best for him, and this will no doubt be of some comfort to you as you grieve.
    I am sorry for your loss, and understand your relief that he is now free of illness and pain.

9. Shazedge

Shazedge Registered User

Nov 11, 2015
    I am so sorry for your loss but glad you were able to get him back home. We lost dad on Sunday and in very similar circumstances. Same as you have dreadful feeling so guilt, relief but most of all the overwhelming feeling of loss and emptiness. We are all so heartbroken I wonder if we will ever be the same again.
    Don't be too hard on yourself it's sounds, like us, all you wanted was the best for your dad and sadly, like us, there was never to be a happy ending x x x x

10. angecmc

angecmc Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    hertfordshire
    Sorry for your loss xx

11. wobbly

wobbly Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    Mid Wales
    thankyou all so much, and yes Shazedge, you are so right.....

12. overwhelmed1

overwhelmed1 Registered User

Dec 7, 2013
    Chester
    I have also lost my father (alzheimers had pneumonia) Christmas Eve. So I understand how there is no happy ending and you are left with memories of his suffering.

I guess at least we know we are not alone in this. You did so well bringing him home xxx

13. wobbly

wobbly Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    Mid Wales
    aww thanks overwhelmed, I had noticed your posts and did mean to post a message to you, I hope you are doing ok......

14. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    So glad you were able to bring him 'home', and that the end was peaceful. x