My dad Brian

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I'm so pleased he has finally been moved Angie , it's heartbreaking for you to see him this way ...sending big strong hugs to keep you going xxxx

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Thanks Canary and Kerry x

Yes he is in a nursing home much closer to me, which is fab, takes 15 minutes to get too in the car. It's a basic home, but dad is so far gone it does not matter. There CQC report is good though and the nurse I met today was lovely [emoji4]. I took his wedding ring today and my mums wedding ring, which he had altered so he could wear it. They was really loose on his fingers. My brother has his ring now and I have my mums [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm sure it was emotional, taking the rings, but I think you were right to do so. My William used to fret at times about his father's wedding ring, which he could describe in detail - gold with a ruby. His dad died in hospital and when his personal effects were returned to the family, the ring was missing. The hospital said it must have still been on his dad when he was cremated, but the funeral directors said no, they would have removed any jewellery and given it to the family. So you are better off keeping precious mementoes safe now!

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Thank goodness your dad has finally moved to his new home. They're obviously experienced in end of life care so your dad needn't suffer.

It has been a chaotic let alone searing time for you. Really glad the NH is closer to you. I do hope you and your dad have peaceful time together now in his last phase of life.

Lovely you and your brother have your parents' wedding rings.

Thinking of you, Angie. X

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Thank goodness he is out of hospital. I hope this NH gives him the care he needs, and has a staff you can work with. Thinking of you and sending much support.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Aww thank you all so so much, it's means a lot to me. This forum has really been my lifeline and I hope my posts helps other too.

Thank you all so much xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Thank you both :)

This is a very tough time for me now, I am on a knife's edge all the time, as soon as my phone rings I literally hit the ceiling, omg the waiting is terrible!!! :eek:

I went down yesterday and he was awake!! I mean proper awake, wide eyed, I nearly fell on the floor with shock, he has not looked that awake for weeks, I stayed for 2 hours and he never fell asleep once :):).

That was the positive part, the negative is he has lost his voice, did not speak one word, would not look at me, would not let me feed him, would not acknowledge at all :(:( it was horrible, he just laid there, staring in front of him, everytime I asked him to look at me, he did then just turned away again, its was heart breaking.......... I do remember this with my mum last year, I believe this is where they distance themselves from everything?

He looked well in the face, but skin and bone, and his left hand and knuckles are turning purple now, his hands were like blocks of ice and I could not warm them up at all.

The carer in this nursing home is a feeder!! they had managed to get 200ml of fluid down him in the 24 hour period, and a little porridge, and a little cream. But boy they don't hold back, he was nodding no, but she just kept putting the spoon to his mouth. Not sure if I like this or not? felt a little peeved, but bravo her for her persistence.

So I left yesterday feeling happy as he was wide awake, but heartbroken as he could not mumble one word or look at me, it was like I was a complete stranger..... he looked so sad, he looked like he had really had enough, he looked down trodden. He looks so small.

Today I have just rang the nursing home, nurse said he is not so good today, gone down hill quite a bit, has not eaten or drank all day and has slept all day so far. They said his colour does not look great either. He is breathing ok at the moment, so they will call me if he continues to decline. I am going down tomorrow to see him, and my brother also going down tomorrow. I told the nurse you ring any time if you think he is going, just call whatever the hour.

This journey is up and down like a roller coaster!!! it literally varies day by day, on a knife's edge and thinking it he going to get better, is he going to last longer, or is he going to be gone tomorrow........ wow the stress is unbelievable for me, so god knows how he feels, I wish I could bring him home and make him smile........

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Angie, just look after yourself now also, such a difficult time , thinking of you xxxx

SadScot

Jun 28, 2016
I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family. A truly awful time. Take care of yourself x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet