my dad also got parkinsonism

Just Jane

Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone

My dad got a appointment in the new year with a Parkinson nurse, On my dad report it says that he also has parkinsonism.

Does this mean he has a form of Parkinson with his dementia ? I find this so confusing has one report says dementia and a other says parkinsonism.

i have notice while looking after my dad in lockdown, he comes across as more Parkinson's, because he has shaking of particular parts of the body in his hands, legs and sometimes i know his head shaking when sat up in the chair.

He has slow movement and stiff and inflexible muscles and also balance problems.

could someone here help me understand this situation, is parkinsonism form of Parkinson's.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Just Jane . Parkinsonism is something that can go with dementia and is caused by the dementia. It gives symptoms very similar to Parkinsons, although it has a different cause. Sometimes drugs used to treat parkinsons can help Parkinsonism although not always. I hope the Parkinson nurse can help.

The doctors thought my OH had Parkinsonism as he is very unsteady and gets tremor, but he does not get the stiffness, so they decided that its not Parkinsonism, but ataxia instead.

Peterb1958

Nov 16, 2020
Hi @Just Jane . Parkinsonism is something that can go with dementia and is caused by the dementia. It gives symptoms very similar to Parkinsons, although it has a different cause. Sometimes drugs used to treat parkinsons can help Parkinsonism although not always. I hope the Parkinson nurse can help.

The doctors thought my OH had Parkinsonism as he is very unsteady and gets tremor, but he does not get the stiffness, so they decided that its not Parkinsonism, but ataxia instead.

My wife and I have learnt so much from this and other groups, without them we would be lost.
There are so many different strains of Parkinsons and Dementia, it has really opened up our eyes, it's also shown we are not fighting this alone.
My wife's Dad has Parkinson/Dementia, we have had to fight for everything.
The only people that has helped us is his doctor and the neurologist, the memory clinic and social services have been virtually non existent.
We have researched the internet and found out so much, what he's entitled to claim for, what he can do to make his life easier.
We just wish that there was more help and advice for the carers, as it's so relentless and physically demanding.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Peterb1958 and welcome to DTP.
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post. You are right - there isnt much help out there for dementia. I have found these boards the greatest source of information and support around.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife had dementia and parkinsonism.

The diagnosis was LBD (Lewy body dementia), the distinction being which part of the brain the Lewy bodies are most prevalent in.

She was under 2 consultants, psychiatrist and adult movement disorders largely because medications for one condition are contraindicated by the other.

You might find reading through

useful

MarleysMum

Sep 17, 2020
My mum had Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia, and she was also then diagnosed with parkinsonism. At the time it was explained to us that the dementia meant that her physical reactions mimicked those of Parkinson’s but she didn’t actually have Parkinson’s.
My dad has also now been diagnosed with Vascular dementia and again the Parkinsonism. He’s also been prescribed drugs that someone with actual Parkinson’s would have, in the hope that it eases some of the symptoms