My concerns

ian283

May 3, 2019
A bit of background first:
I am a 36 year old male and towards the end of 2018 was diagnosed with overactive bladder for which I was prescribed Mirabegron. My friends have always described me as very organised, I got good grades at school and college and now work as a very successful office manager having recently been promoted and passed a workplace qualification with flying colours.

My medication worked a treat to alleviate my OAB symptoms but at the start of this year I found myself forgetting to do things at work and home such as take my medication, make a call, appointment times, take my gym bag to the gym. I also found myself forgetting things people had told me (both work and personal) and started feeling light headed all the time. I discussed these issues with my GP who said it could have been a side affect of the OAB medication which I then stopped taking.

However, this was a couple of months ago and my memory is getting steadily worse. Now I can barely remember any conversations I have had over the past couple of months and I am struggling at work unless I write everything down (something I have never done before). Also, I am struggling to find words to put into conversations/emails/texts etc as well as making a lot of (now corrected) spelling mistakes, again something I have never done before. For example, I have struggled to compose this post yet I am used to writing detailed reports and emails so it should have come pretty naturally. My friends are sometimes starting to comment that I am "hard to understand".

I have got an appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks and naturally I am pretty worried that something is wrong. I did a couple of online memory tests this week (click the repeated pictures) where I scored between 50 and 70% and I did a checklist online where the result indicated that "Serious impairment of memory is likely. Follow up with a medical professional". Obviously I know that these things are automated and cannot replace a medical professional but it's still quite alarming.

Is there any advice anyone can offer? I would be interested in doing some more online tests/checklists so I can share the results with my GP. Also, has anyone got any similar stories they can share?

ian283

May 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what information I should prepare for the GP? I have started keeping a diary of things I have forgotten today. I'm not sure if that will be counterproductive because I might forget to fill it in

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @ian283. Welcome to the forum.

Have you read the leaflet which accompanies your medication. If the side effects state a possibility of any form of memory disturbance I suggest you contact your doctor and ask them for an earlier appointment.

If there is nothing to worry you on the leaflet, do make a diary and log your concerns so the doctor will be able to understand the frequency and severity of your concerns.

Please keep posting and let us know how you get on. I hope you will feel supported on the forum.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
As well as memory loss, are you finding it difficult to use familiar technology or appliances eg not sure how to use the TV remote or your heating controls or struggling to use a computer or phone? Such incidents, if an issue, also need discussing with your doctor,

Try not to worry for now and don't do any more online memory tests, they really are unreliable and could cause you to create problems in areas where you don't have them!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Your problems could be any number of things from a vitamin deficiency to thyroid problems. Whatever is going on could well be exacerbated by stress and anxiety and you have certainly worked yourself into a bit of a state over this. You are well and truly stressed out and if you have gone off your bladder medication, this could also be adding to your anxiety.

My suggestions are that unless you know for sure that your medication is the cause of the problem, then get back on to it again to at least give you some relief in that area. The other suggestion is that until you can see your GP, try some relaxation exercises.

Finally, you know the old saying about not crossing bridges until you get to them? Worth remembering.

ian283

May 3, 2019
As well as memory loss, are you finding it difficult to use familiar technology or appliances eg not sure how to use the TV remote or your heating controls or struggling to use a computer or phone? Such incidents, if an issue, also need discussing with your doctor,

Try not to worry for now and don't do any more online memory tests, they really are unreliable and could cause you to create problems in areas where you don't have them!

Thanks for all the replies and yes, now you mention it I am struggling with technology and appliances.