My Brother

Tracey Blaxsell

Aug 5, 2005
Bedfordshire
I believe that my brother, who is only 46 this year is in the early stages of alzheimers. My father unfortunately died of alzheimers when he was only 66 and whilst he was only diagnosed with alzheimers about 3 to 4 years prior to his death, I myself and my mother believe that he had suffered with it for many years but we all found it impossible to get a doctor to believe us or do anything about it. We now have the same problem with my brother. His marriage has now broken down (about a year ago), I believe as a result of his symptoms. He is seeing his doctor regularly but I don't feel that he is putting his symptoms across properly. He has mentioned on a couple of occasions about his loss of memory etc but the doctor has said that this is all due to depression because of what he is going through in his personal life. Unfortunately he wouldn't be going through a divorce if it wasn't for his symtoms but I don't think that the doctor is aware that the symptoms arose long before the decline of his marriage. He has now been on anti-depressants for a year and his symptoms are no better. My husband met one of my brother's work colleagues a few days ago in the pub and he asked my husband about my brother, he mentioned that my brother is constantly fogetting things at work and that they are trying to look after him - but I wonder how long it will be before his symptoms are noticed by his employees - this is worry!

I just wondered if anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation. My mother, whilst trying to cope, after going through a very bad time with my father is finding it all very stressful and I think somehow blames herself - not that she has anything to blame herself for.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated - it has helped just talking about it.

Thank you.

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
brother

Hello Tracey

Read your post and I am sorry you are so worried about your brothers situation. My husband has AD and is 57 years old but his short term memory problems started some 9 years ago, so he too was very young.

Our GP thought David had depression etc. and it was only after two car accidents on the M1 motorway that he started to take us seriously. Our GP did a memory test and David didn't score very well and was referred to a Psychiatrist who diagnosed David as having AD within an hour.

I think perhaps, if your brother is agreeable he should go back to his GP, would he be agreeable to your going with him? Does your brother think he has a problem? The thing is there is medication which does help AD sufferers and it seems a shame that your brother, if he does have a memory problem, is not taking advantage of these. David has been stable now since 2002, they really do help Tracey.

You and your mum are obviously very worried and aware there is a problem. I know how you must be feeling and urge you to go back to the GP and ask for a referral and get a diagnosis. With the right help your brother may be able to continue with his job for quite a while.

Having gone through a tough time with your dad you obviously know the heart ache that goes with AD, so I urge you and your brother to get proper help now.

Hope I haven't gone on too much. Do post again on TP there will be others to offer support.

Chin up.

Katie

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
Does you doctor know that your father had AD? Even if it does you need to emphasise this, and remind him that it is possible to have AD when you are younger. I think some GPs don't realise/forget this. When I first took my (58 year old) mother to her GP about her problems, it didn't occur to him at all that she might have dementia. He referred her to a psychiatrist, and he was the first person who said she might have dementia.

Is there a branch of the Alzheimer's Society near you? If there is, ask them if you have a local memory clinic. The local memory clinic near where I live are run by the Community Mental Health Team (part of the NHS). At our local memory clinic you can go straight to them if you have memory problems, you don't have to go through your GP.