My Brother Has Received The Grant Of Probate

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Although I think that the sibling today thought that the house would all be clear by the 1st February. Even if it's not clear we can still at least get it to the stage where we can have it on the market.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Although I think that the sibling today thought that the house would all be clear by the 1st February. Even if it's not clear we can still at least get it to the stage where we can have it on the market.

MaNaAk

Could you prorcss a purchase without your share of your fathers house? if you plan to rent for a bit, maybe aim for doing so from 1st March

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Update I have had emails from my brothers
the youngest one says I haven't done much clearing although he hasn't looked any drawers. The other one says that it's unfair for my youngest brother to do the clearing and that I am not proactive in looking for properties. He thinks we should put it on the market straight away.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I don't really want my brothers here at Xmas I would like to have my friend here last year.

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Sorry you have such uncaring brothers. They have no idea how to communicate with people.
You can have a Xmas bubble with who you like. Why is it just your job to do the clearing?
If you do the sorting you delightful brothers could collect what’s not wanted and drop off at charity shops or the recycling centre.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
you dont need to have your brothers for christmas. you will probably be more enjoyable with your friend. brothers have obviously been to charm school and learnt how to be loving brothers. just do what you are doing and keep going. it was a given they were going to criticise you after yesterday morning so ignore it. easy for me to say and hard on you.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Good morning @MaNaAk . My advice is invite your friend for Christmas right now. E-mail brothers to say you will stick with the already agreed February date for putting the house on the market, as that seems practicable. Step away from the e-mails for the rest of the day. Put some uplifting music on and get on with the clearing yourself.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Update I have had emails from my brothers
the youngest one says I haven't done much clearing although he hasn't looked any drawers. The other one says that it's unfair for my youngest brother to do the clearing and that I am not proactive in looking for properties. He thinks we should put it on the market straight away.

MaNaAk
Are you being proactive in looking for somewhere else?

Maybe you could have a list of things that you have done?
Mums clothes gone/wardrobe empty- tick
Ditto dads- Tick
Sideboard/cupboards sort and parked any unwanted china ready to go - Tick
Sorted and shredded any redundant paperwork- tick
First sort through the kitchen? Tick
Do you have garage/shed? Have you sorted the usefiul stuff, rest ready to go?

Any unwanted furniture - ready to be collected? wardrobes/sideboards etc? tick
Mum/Dads beds? Tick

Get together a list of the things you have done, then ignore them

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could designate a room 'not wanted' and let the collectors from the charity help themselves when they come.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just seen my latest emails from my brothers they don't get on but they have agreed that I am untrustworthy with regard
to probate that as @Jessbow says I am in a minority. I have taken forever to do the clear a few drawers and I need to take a look at the relationship with my brothers.

My youngest brother says that we could put the house on the market at the end of January and undertake viewings at the beginning of February so it is roughly the same time as suggested. I just want to say that if you are dealing with invisibles do not be too honest and if one of them gives you a glimpse of hope take this with a pinch of salt. They say I will profit from the inheritance (they could be right) and that I could pay rent if I'm still here. I assume that they mean if the house doesn't sell straight away.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I forgot to say that the eldest of my two brothers sent copies of the Probate document which arrived yesterday whilst I was out and it will be redelivered on Monday but I am not sure whether to tell my brothers this or not?

It's not easy dealing with this when you live on your own but I am getting through it.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its a bit sad but if this is the only way to get through with sanity intact then so be it. dont leave yourself vulnerable. you can choose your friends but not your family.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Don't pay them rent @manak If you have always lived in your dads house then it is your home and you have every right to live there until it is sold. It's not like you have just moved in for somewhere to live. What is wrong with them.

You looked after your dad for a long time while your brothers didn't so stick to your guns and do not pay them rent.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou you two I have not emailed them to say that the postman tried to deliver the
copies of the Probate document yet.

MaNaAk

PS: I feel I have wasted time dealing with my brothers when I could be clearing or viewing properties on Rightmove.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Will you be in on Monday for the post? You should be able to make other arrangements, eg collect from post office if not.

End of January sounds ok for putting on the market. The sooner all this is over the better. Put your energy into clearing, searching for a new place and looking to the future in the meantime.

Did you invite your friend for Christmas, by the way? I am wondering if you could put things into storage and stay with friends for a while if the house sells quickly.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I forgot to say that the eldest of my two brothers sent copies of the Probate document which arrived yesterday whilst I was out and it will be redelivered on Monday but I am not sure whether to tell my brothers this or not?

It's not easy dealing with this when you live on your own but I am getting through it.

MaNaAk
They already know , if one of them sent it, surely? They really dont need to know the finer points of delivery.

Why did they send you a copy if you are not an executor? just file it on the mantlepiece, you dont need to do anything if you are not an executor.