My Brother Has Received The Grant Of Probate

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I'm just letting you know that my brother has emailed to say that he has received the grant of probate and he wants to know whether my other brother and I want him to keep the papers until they are needed.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Let him keep it, don't get involved any more than you have to.
It's a document proving that the will is valid.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Leave him to it, let him have responsibility of keeping it safe and sending any copies to institutions who need to see a copy.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou @nitram.

I'm glad that it's arrived safely and of course we are aiming for the 1st February (which is probably unrealistic) to get the house on the market. However at the moment I am trying to understand what I can and can't do under the lockdown rules. I live on my own and at the end of the previous lockdown I was in a support bubble with my youngest brother and his partner. This time I am in a support bubble with my friend as she is on a her own and I would rather be in a support bubble with her.

Anyway when it comes to moving the stuff from the house am I right in thinking that I can only do this with one other adult in a support bubble? This is what I want to check. My brothers wouldn't be able to come at the same time and I probably shouldn't be in a support bubble with my youngest brother if he has a partner. Also are there any restrictions when you meet with your support bubble?

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
As its only for another couple of weeks, I wouldnt wonder too much. It could be said that your brother could ask you to go out whilst they were in the property if there were things that they needed to access whilst we are in covid constraints, in their role as executors.

Why is Feb 1 unrealistic?

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I agree I would just send a simple reply saying - you are happy for him to keep the papers.

I am sure there are ways to work safely around the Covid restrictions, I also wondered why you feel 1st Feb which is 2 and a half months away is unrealistic ???

What date are you thinking of yourself?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
See what happens on Dec 2nd and what the new rules are.

Can you make a start on the smaller clearing? Are there papers and things in drawers you can sort into piles, even if you don't decide what to do with them? I understand you may be wary of disposing of anything before it gets your brothers' thumbs up or veto.

Have you given your father's clothes away yet? If there are any still to take to charity shops, etc. can you bag them up? At least you will have made a start and put in an effort. Start with one room at a time.

Another thought - maybe do your own things first? You may find you have things you want to throw away or give away - too many clothes, for example. Think about what you want to take with you - if you are downsizing into a flat you won't be able to take that much furniture, for example. Have you thought about this?

When I got down to sorting out my mother's things (which were not many) I also made a start on my own, thinking of what would be left when I went! Too much stuff for people to sort. It's built again since and I have cupboards stocked right up so it really needs another "sweep". It can be very painful but you just have to take the hit and then it's over and you feel better.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I think when you read decluttering books, they say start with things that don't have much emotional significance - your clothes, books and finally do mementoes, etc.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
At the moment, I am having a clear-out myself of all financial type papers. I have lots of statements from old closed accounts, etc. that are cluttering up my shelves so I have put them all in a sack ready to shred. I am dreading the shredding!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
you said here you have been clearing the rubbish out of the rooms as you have found some strange things in strange places. if you google covid rules then i meeting people it tells you about support bubbles you can actually visit that other person and stay the night with them in their house. if you form that bubble then your brother is not in your support bubble so shouldnt be coming to the house if you have formed your own bubble google it. thats where im getting my information from. its under national restrictions but i cant give the link. you can meet and exercise with them as well.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
At the moment, I am having a clear-out myself of all financial type papers. I have lots of statements from old closed accounts, etc. that are cluttering up my shelves so I have put them all in a sack ready to shred. I am dreading the shredding!

I had so much paperwork to shred - mine and Mum's - that it would have taken me weeks to shred the lot. Luckily a friend has two garden incinerators so we lit them both and spent 4hrs burning the lot over a bottle of wine or two. Very therapeutic :)

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hello Everyone.

I'm just letting you know that my brother has emailed to say that he has received the grant of probate and he wants to know whether my other brother and I want him to keep the papers until they are needed.

MaNaAk
So glad you have the grant of Probate. My cousins and I are still waiting....its been 3 and a half years since my Uncle died.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I've never done this sort of thing before.

MaNaAk

set your self targets.
do a room at a time.

if the house goes on 1 st Feb, an optimistic * if it sold straight away* it would be another 8 weeks minimum before it sold ( sale completed) so ball park another two month- which means you should be aiming to move early April. 5 months- almost half a year. Should be do-able quite easily.

How long ago did your dad die? I know they have only just applied for probate, but its been a while if I remember rightly- probably time the estate was wound up

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
My advice @MaNaAk is, whenever faced with a job that seems big, break it down into manageable pieces.

I would tackle the house a room at a time. Clear one room (one you don't use much or part of a larger room) first and use that space to put separate piles from other rooms into keep for you/charity shop/discard/for discussion with the gannet brothers. If you can, put everything into boxes or bags with labels so it looks organised and tidy.

This is probably a good thing to mention to your therapist at your next session. I wish I lived nearby. I'd come over after lock-down to help. I've moved house lots of times. It often seems overwhelming at first but it's really not.

And don't worry - we'll all be around to help you out.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad passed away in June last year and I've been working my way through most of the rooms but there is still a lot to do.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I had so much paperwork to shred - mine and Mum's - that it would have taken me weeks to shred the lot. Luckily a friend has two garden incinerators so we lit them both and spent 4hrs burning the lot over a bottle of wine or two. Very therapeutic :)

In another thread I remember you saying how therapeutic shredding was and I remember agreeing with you.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

In another thread I remember you saying how therapeutic shredding was and I remember agreeing with you.

MaNaAk
My advice @MaNaAk is, whenever faced with a job that seems big, break it down into manageable pieces.

I would tackle the house a room at a time. Clear one room (one you don't use much or part of a larger room) first and use that space to put separate piles from other rooms into keep for you/charity shop/discard/for discussion with the gannet brothers. If you can, put everything into boxes or bags with labels so it looks organised and tidy.

This is probably a good thing to mention to your therapist at your next session. I wish I lived nearby. I'd come over after lock-down to help. I've moved house lots of times. It often seems overwhelming at first but it's really not.

And don't worry - we'll all be around to help you out.

You also could have tried the award winning Fish and Chips. Not to mention Rossi Ice cream.

MaNaAk

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016

Yes, that's right. The shredding started off as therapeutic but I kept finding more and more paperwork and in the end it was just going to take too long to get rid of it all and I didn't want it sitting about in bags for weeks/months so when my friend offered the use of her incinerators it was too good an offer to turn down!

As others have already posted, when you've got a lot of stuff to clear it's best to start off one room at a time. I had to clear my Mum's house recently and also clear my place so that I could fit some of the things from Mum's I wanted to keep. I had to be ruthless in the end as I was running out of space at home. It's been over two months now since Mum's house sold and I've just got a couple more boxes to go through and am aiming to have everything finally done by Christmas. If you set yourself a target it helps to keep you focused. I split everything into boxes/bags, and took things to the charity shops every week. Obviously they're shut during lockdown but you can get stuff ready to go when they reopen. We also ended up hiring a clearance company to take away things like garden waste and things that the charity shops wouldn't take. Get a list written and stick to a target and you'll get it done in no time :)