• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

My Brother Has Received The Grant Of Probate

Elle3

Registered User
Jun 30, 2016
651
0
Hi MaNaAk, just been catching up on your post, good news about the probate coming through, but it's not good to hear that your brothers are still being horrible and putting so much pressure on you. They need a good telling.

With regards to your brothers wanting to put the house on the market immediately, rather than when you all originally agreed in February, don't allow them to pressure you. Also, I just wanted to make you aware that the house selling/buying process is taking a lot longer than normal due to Covid. My brother in law accepted an offer on his house and made an offer on another, way back in August this year and he still doesn't have a moving date. The Solicitors have said it is currently taking approximately 7-8 months for the whole process, as there are big delays in getting searches etc back, (a sale can normally take about 3 months with no complications anyway) there are apparently large backlogs due to Covid and also many places are working with reduced numbers of staff. So please don't panic and think you have to move out as soon as an offer is accepted. Your brothers are just going to have to accept that these things take time.

Good luck. x
 

MaNaAk

Registered User
Jun 19, 2016
3,391
0
Essex
Hi MaNaAk, just been catching up on your post, good news about the probate coming through, but it's not good to hear that your brothers are still being horrible and putting so much pressure on you. They need a good telling.

With regards to your brothers wanting to put the house on the market immediately, rather than when you all originally agreed in February, don't allow them to pressure you. Also, I just wanted to make you aware that the house selling/buying process is taking a lot longer than normal due to Covid. My brother in law accepted an offer on his house and made an offer on another, way back in August this year and he still doesn't have a moving date. The Solicitors have said it is currently taking approximately 7-8 months for the whole process, as there are big delays in getting searches etc back, (a sale can normally take about 3 months with no complications anyway) there are apparently large backlogs due to Covid and also many places are working with reduced numbers of staff. So please don't panic and think you have to move out as soon as an offer is accepted. Your brothers are just going to have to accept that these things take time.

Good luck. x

Thankyou Elle and it's lovely to hear from you. I have a friend who has a different problem all together. She lost her sister last November and probate came through
in May but and her sister was planning to move closer before her death so the house was on the market for a little while
however my friend has had to drop the price a couple of times because the buyer keeps finding problems. My friend has had several sleepless nights because of it. It's even worse when you're on the other side of the country with Covid!

MaNaAk
 

Elle3

Registered User
Jun 30, 2016
651
0
Thankyou Elle and it's lovely to hear from you. I have a friend who has a different problem all together. She lost her sister last November and probate came through
in May but and her sister was planning to move closer before her death so the house was on the market for a little while
however my friend has had to drop the price a couple of times because the buyer keeps finding problems. My friend has had several sleepless nights because of it. It's even worse when you're on the other side of the country with Covid!

MaNaAk

You can find that buyers will try it on, especially if they think you are desperate to sell a property. The buyers of my dad's house tried to do the same with me. I'd already set the asking price to reflect it needed work and then I accepted an offer of £15K less than the asking price. I was also very nice through the whole process allowing them more access than anyone else would have done, to do measurements etc, get people in to do quotes etc. However, about 3 weeks before completion was due, they suddenly said they'd had another survey done and they wanted to reduce their offer by another £15K. I basically told them where to go as I was prepared to walk away from the sale. It took them 1 hour to come back via the Solicitor and say they would still proceed at the agreed price. The Estate Agent and my Solicitor agreed that they were just trying it on.

In some respects I kind of wish they had pulled out, as I would probably still have the house now. Renovated it myself and rented it out. But at the time I was planning ahead for my dads care home costs, not expecting that he would pass away 4 months later. 🥺
 

Forum statistics

Threads
117,573
Messages
1,720,863
Members
68,418
Latest member
Lawrence8491