My boyfriend has dementia

Porenn

May 30, 2006
Philippines
I don't know how I'm going to start with my story. I guess I can share with you my story as we go along...if you want to join this thread. In nutshell, I have a very wonderful boyfriend. Smart and funny. Stubborn yet sweet. Thoughtful even though he gets forgetful. The times I spend or I have spent with him are always special. He has dementia. He is just my age. He's only 28. And he has snapped a few times just recently. I know he loves me so much but there have been instances in the past when he would just break up with me coz he says he has to let me go. I don't want do. I don't want to leave him alone. I love him too very much I want to be with him all the way. I am so full of hope that it wouldn't be as bad. Am I in denial? Am I living in a bubble? What do I do?

Porenn

May 30, 2006
Philippines
I am in the Philippines but my boyfriend is in Miami. He is undergoing treatment but he's mostly just at home now. He has his medicines that he takes regularly. And he goes to sessions at a facility there but he doesn't do that religiously. He wanted to come home to the Philippines so bad months back but his family thinks it's better that he stays there. I think now he has already accepted that there is where he is going to be. The distance is difficult. We have managed to make it work these past months but we do have problems. I don't know if it's just because of problems in our relationship or it's because of his illness.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hello Porenn

Just a line to say I'm sorry to read that your boyfriend has dementia, and that you and he are far apart from each other. The fact that you cannot be together right now is a strain for you both in itself! His problems with dementia do not help, no doubt.
It may be better that he continues with the counselling and treatment he has started in Miami for the time being, but he really should take his medicines and attend his counselling sessions regularly to get the best from them.
I'm in no way qualified to give any advice, and that's just my opinion, based on what you have said.

Best wishes for you both