Musical DVDs

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Does anyone know of a DVD made up of a compilation of songs from old musicals?

My mam loves the old songs but can no longer follow a storyline, so I thought it might be nice for her to watch a range of song clips from the old films without having to endure the story in between songs!

Something with, say, songs from Calamity Jane, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oliver, etc.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hmm a tricky task CG, a really good idea and my mum would love it too. I can't seem to find a dvd like this though! I found concerts with music from the musicals and whole musicals of course.... these are from Ama**n

This is a concert of all the songs, but not the film clips :( A Celebration of Classic MGM Musicals [DVD] [2010] It has loads of really good reviews though, think it was a Proms concert, I might get this for mum for Christmas!

Ooh, this is more like it, but maybe a bit late? Hollywood Musicals of the 60's [DVD] [2000] Product Description
'Highlights from the great musicals of the 1960s, including 'The Sound of Music', 'West Side Story', 'My Fair Lady', 'Mary Poppins', 'Oliver!' and 'Funny Girl'. Stars featured include Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Dick Van Dyke and Frank Sinatra.'

or this one:Hollywood Musicals Of The 50S [DVD] [2000] It sounds good, but the reviews are not very complimentary :(

Product Description
This salute to the Hollywood musicals of the 1950s includes excerpts from 'An American in Paris', 'Kismet', 'Singin' in the Rain', 'Kiss Me Kate', 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers', 'The Band Wagon' and 'Oklahoma!', amongst others. Stars include Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor, and there are interviews with former hoofers Ann Miller, Shirley Jones and Gwen Verdon.

There was a 40's version, but reviewers all said it was trailers and poor quality. I think there would be a market for such a dvd for those who don't want to watch a complete movie or can't follow it.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Jennie

That 60s one is, I think, the same one as in Fiona's link. It sounds good and might just be the one. It's not too late. I was thinking late 50s, 60s and early 70s, so this might just fit the bill.

Thanks for all your ideas!

CG

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Theres also the gene kelley collection - That's Entertainment 1,2 & 3 which give dance skits too. and his hollywood musical collection. Check out Amazon for all these

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976