Music to my ears

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I have just spent the last 2 hours at my mum's care home. She has been there since January and whenever I go in the afternoon she wont sit still and is wandering around all the time so usually I only stay for half an hour at the most. Having taken advice on here, thanks to all, I bought various sing a long cds with old familiar songs on and my mum and her friend, with other residents popping in and out have spent 2 hours listening and singing and even dancing to Twist Again. It is brilliant that I have managed to spend so much time with her sitting in one place. I feel exhausted singing along to songs I dont really know for 2 hours but they really enjoyed it so I'm happy that I've done something worthwhile. Just wanted to share something joyful.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Thats great to hear Daisy Di.:)
My Mum loves music and dancing still... Although doesn't dance like she used to.
Mum witn AD & Dad still live at home, and I bought them a new radio/CD player and marked the buttons with Play/Stop/Firward /Backward and tuned in some favourite radio stations.
Sadly Mum cannot work it, but Dad can, but he prefers to watch TV and seldom puts it on for Mum. :(
When I take Mum grocery shopping the supermarket has an interactive DJ machine that shoppers can pick songs to listen to over the intercom.
I get Mum to pick her favourites. There is a song in particular that my daughter sings, and every time it comes on Mum remembers that it is my daughters song :D

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Thats great to hear Daisy Di.:)
My Mum loves music and dancing still... Although doesn't dance like she used to.
Mum witn AD & Dad still live at home, and I bought them a new radio/CD player and marked the buttons with Play/Stop/Firward /Backward and tuned in some favourite radio stations.
Sadly Mum cannot work it, but Dad can, but he prefers to watch TV and seldom puts it on for Mum. :(
When I take Mum grocery shopping the supermarket has an interactive DJ machine that shoppers can pick songs to listen to over the intercom.
I get Mum to pick her favourites. There is a song in particular that my daughter sings, and every time it comes on Mum remembers that it is my daughters song :D

Aarh that's lovely

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Glad you had a great time Daisy Di, the good times are to be treasured :)

Linbrusco - your supermarket sounds brill :D

DointhebestIcan

May 24, 2014
Music for memories

I love that you took music to the home. Well done daisyd.
My MIL goes to a Music for Memories sing along at our local community centre every week. She used to sing in a choir and has always enjoyed singing. Music seems to be a great stimulus for many with dementia. We have a cd player in the house and play music for her to sing to at home too. It's one of the few things she has any interest in as I can't persuade her to do any of the many craft activities she used to do.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I love that you took music to the home. Well done daisyd.
My MIL goes to a Music for Memories sing along at our local community centre every week. She used to sing in a choir and has always enjoyed singing. Music seems to be a great stimulus for many with dementia. We have a cd player in the house and play music for her to sing to at home too. It's one of the few things she has any interest in as I can't persuade her to do any of the many craft activities she used to do.

I think I've learnt in life that you need to put in what you expect to get out. I expect my mum to be a human being so I am willing to do whatever I can to help her achieve this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa