Music to calm the many brows

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
In a poll that I put on the forum some time ago, about things that help in some way, next to conversation and physical contact, music came next in the line http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=379

I've noticed that Jan's home has a range of music that they play in the different lounges and the main open area. To accomplish this they have a playing system of some sort, and a range of CDs.

With a cross section of people of different ages, and of past likes and dislikes [and present ones too], single CDs are maybe not the best things to have and anyway, I have noticed that many are in such bad condition that the player just makes weird noises at certain points.

I suggested last week that an iPod or similar MP3 player might be a nice idea, because it can be set on shuffle so it plays music of all genres, or it can be set to 1940s, 1960s or whatever.

Clearly a problem is that these devices are small and infinitely pocketable.

So I suggested trying a player with a wireless connection to a speaker that can be put into a particular lounge. The MP3 player can then be set running and locked away in an office somewhere.

[There are solutions that enable wireless broadcasting to a variety of locations simultaneously, but these are very expensive]

Anyway, I'm getting them one that is not too expensive and has good range, and I am going to try it. I can then populate it with music and I will try it out.

If anyone else has tried this solution and has any experiences to share, I would be interested to hear from them.

Clearly there has to be an MP3 music libary created, but I have spare capacity on my PC to load their CDs [the usable ones] and create a library and maintain it for them, and then to load it to the iPod. I happen to have an iPod which is why I have decided on one of those, but of course there are many other MP3 players from other manufacturers that might be used.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Morning Bruce

Good morning,

Great idea bruce and I know dads home could do with something like this. My initial thoughts are to look for an ipod docking station that is secure and covered.

Have you thought about a wall mounted docking station? Perhaps it could be fitted behind a secure plate and run from a remote or something?

This company may have the kind of solution yo uare looking for or at least get you started with you google quest....

http://www.smarthome.com/83481w.html

Or here is another link
http://www.smarthomepro.com/prodindex.asp?catid=1611

Most of this stuff is in the states but you may find a supplier in UK. It is probably cheaper to buy direct from US anyway.

Hope this this is a very useful thread as most homes could do with this! I fight to get music put on but many residents at early stages just prefer the TV. Your right, music is dads main love now he is in the later stages.

Cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Thanks, Craig

I'm an impatient sort, so I thought I'd try out the first seemingly practical and affordable system I could find. [since I have agreed to pay for it :eek:]

I am aware that these things can easily get nicked or trashed, and that some don't have good transmitting distances.

I have sent for an Oregon iBall and there is one site that has excellent pricing. I just hope it works - if not I will try again.
http://www.memoryuniverse.co.uk/latest_detail.asp?prod_id=8212

It is also available on Amazon, but at much higher price. I'm wondering if I'm buying a limited function version or something.. :confused:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scie...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210497709&sr=8-1

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Music is very soothing, relaxing and can have many memories to special songs.
Ipod's, texting,bluetooth etc., are beyond me and if I convert back to £sp, feet and inches, wireless, my Grandchildren think I have come out of an ark.
So gentlemen, we will leave it to you experts (and Grandchildren) to enlighten us.
Best wishes
Christine

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I haven`t a clue what you are talking about

all easy really :)

View attachment 2838

The iPod, containing 800+ songs, sits in the nurse's room, locked up so it can't walk away.

The iBall is a receiver and speaker all in one and that can be moved around as needed. Sometimes it may be in one 'house', sometimes in another, other times in the main public area.

The iPod sits on a transmitter that sends the music to the iBall, which picks it up in the same way a standard radio picks up Radio 2, etc.

This is the theory!

Time will tell.....:confused:

Attachments

• wipod.jpg
    wipod.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The pricing is a bit odd I'd agree, only: did you look at amazon.com? Because the US version is currently selling at $99 (supposedly $200 off list)!! It may just be that they got the pricing wrong initially and have way too much stock.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
They have systems like that here in the US. Some are expensive some are not and don't forget that an ipod can be networked to a computer and then a speaker off the computer can distribute. If I remember correctly most nurses stations have computers.

The other thing is that if you find something in the US go directly to the company. If your home is a nonprofit they can donate and take off their taxes.:):).....so many companies do just that and at the same time you may be giving them a new place to market an more upbeat version. It's a win win situation for everyone.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
PS. to clarify when I said network I meant that one computer would have the ipod (usually the mainframe computer) and the rest would access through their computer.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
If I remember correctly most nurses stations have computers

... but not in my experience in the homes I have seen over here in the UK.

The only PC used at the home other than by the manager and her secretary is my last PC that I donated to them when I bought my current one. That one is used for staff training.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Brucie

Still, with the product you are talking about go to the company for a donation first, before you buy. You would be surprised at how many companies will actually donate. I understand where you are coming from with the computers.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Bruce, please speak in a language Ron and I understand

What ?
For goodness sake, just learning.
Still love you though.:)Barb & Ron X

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Barb & Ron

The music player is very small so needs to be locked away, otherwise in a public area it might get removed.

The music player is put in one room and starts to play music from a large selection of pieces [up to 800] that have been recorded on it.

The separate speaker receives the music by radio waves, and can be moved around the home like a transistor radio.

It has the following advantages:

- it saves staff from loading CDs
- it gives residents a broader choice of music
- CDs tend to get damaged; with this system the music is held on a PC and loaded on to the player
- music can be selected by type - by decade, or genre [classical, pop, country and western, etc]

I am simply trying to adapt technology to be useful in Jan's care home context.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Morning Bruce,

thanks for sharing!

Personally I'd like to hear the sound quality first. Some of the pricy ipod docking stations that I've come across can sound very tinny.

Like the look of the system you gave a link to!

Cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Yes, of course sound quality is an important factor.

However, these things are often subjective.

My last car had as standard an 8 speaker JBL sound system in it which was very good. When I replaced the car with the latest model, the sound system was nowhere near as good - only 6 speakers and poorer amplifier.

For the first few days, with the memory of 5 years driving with the old system, the new one seemed thin.

However, I'm now used to it and it sounds fine - though of course cars do have engine and wind noise to compete with the music!

So, though the Oregon system may not sound as nice as a similar system costing 5 times the price, it may be ok.

I'll let you know!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
I'll let you know!
Please do.

I did read some reviews of a similar system and one reviewer users the term 'wicked' when he mentions the sound quality - let me know if you need a translation :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scie...00G8OX5E/ref=pd_ts_ce_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

BTW - Guess that I should add that I am in no way affilitated with oregon and there may be better products on the market. Just googling like everyone else.

I'm going to discuss a few options with dads home so thanks for the stimulation Bruce.

cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I've also read no-so-good reviews, but we're not looking top grade hi-fi systems here at the price!

If you want to see it before I install it at the home [and obviously after I have myself received it!] then let me know!

Just off to see Jan now.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sounds like a very Good idea Bruce .

The best Ipod docks around are the Apple one .

My daughter got one at her flat , it has an amazing sound system

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...p_ipod/ipod_accessories/speakers&mco=MzI0MDc4

It look something like this .

But what about this one ?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...oreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=MB125#overview
( click learn more )
As it say
#
# • Connect the Dock to a stereo or speakers using a stereo audio cable to play music from iPod or iPhone

As then maybe the stereo that the care home has , the speakers are connect to the main rooms that the music they have is play to . If you get my point ?

Last edited: