Music therapy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
River, I don't know, but could it depend on the stage?

John is now end stage, and fast music with a beat simply gets him agitated. But I think at earlier stages, stimulation is a good thing.

What do you think?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you're probably correct River. Mind you, I'm not going to be a happy camper if when I get to the nursing home stage people play country music at me :eek:

And that's I think an important point - my mother would also have been very unhappy to have been subjected to a barrage of country music. So I think it is important to ring the changes, although I think a strong beat is probably a good starting point.

I cross posted with Hazel and I agree with her - some people might find this altogether too stimulating.

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John and I used to be keen Scottish country dancers, but a few weeks ago they had an accordianist playing Scottish music in the residential section lounge. I took John in, thinking he's enjoy it. Everyone was singing along, but John couldn't stand it, and I had to take him back to the unit.

river_

Oct 15, 2007
UK
I think you're probably correct River. Mind you, I'm not going to be a happy camper if when I get to the nursing home stage people play country music at me :eek:
LMAO! :D

Yeah I think early stage could appreciate the variety in a classical piece but it's a bit complicated for the advanced stage.

As far as taste goes it should be considered and a familiar style or tune can do wonders but I think as the condition advances tastes change, just like with food. We had some work experience girls in playing dance music and one of our ladies enjoyed it, a few years ago she would have been running for the hills or trying to call the police!

We go for what fits best with the tenants in the communal area, nothing to unusual, Cliff, Daniel, Wartime classics. The Xmas Choir music was wonderful, so uplifting, that was definitely a hit and the carols were familiar so we got a sing song :)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
yes, so it is all relative
jenniferpa said:
my mother would also have been very unhappy to have been subjected to a barrage of country music. So I think it is important to ring the changes, although I think a strong beat is probably a good starting point.

a strong beat is what is just confusing for residents at Jan's home - they respond best to something soothing, but not mindless.

In general it is some of the carers and families at the home that feel their loved ones want lively stuff.

If one observes reactions....

all IMHO and in my little world :)

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Sylvia snap again with Andrea and Charlie Vic loves them and Bryn Terfel also male voice choirs ( took him to a concert last week) and brass bands too.

Interestingly he never put music on to listen to until this last year how he manages to switch the player on I don't know but he does:)

Linda x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Linda,

Dhiren never puts the radio on and cannot open a CD case, never mind put the CD in the right way up. He still thinks he can turn it over to play the other side.

So I ask him what he wants to watch or listen to and give him the options. He does manage to choose something he`s in the mood for at the time.

Today, he`s so confused he just wants to sit quietly.