Music that we go to...

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@Agzy and @jennifer1967 for me it depends on my mood but I am struggling with anything vaguely poignant at the moment much preferring something more cheerful. So a good sing song and bop are good! Having said that there are certain CDs I am having to avoid as they were the ones we listened to whilst driving to holiday destinations. Many happy memories but also the recognition that we will not be enjoying these things together again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@Agzy and @jennifer1967 for me it depends on my mood but I am struggling with anything vaguely poignant at the moment much preferring something more cheerful. So a good sing song and bop are good! Having said that there are certain CDs I am having to avoid as they were the ones we listened to whilst driving to holiday destinations. Many happy memories but also the recognition that we will not be enjoying these things together again.
i must admit that there are a few that are too close with lots of memories but because i have depression, i have to be careful what i choose to listen to. im mainly pop and going through my summer cds.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
interesting, and I think this nicely illustrates how we all differ in the interpretation of music. I am sure there are those who would find this reflective and uplifting!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Absolutely @Dunroamin. Music is many different things to different people. None uf us experience the same emotions in the same music. I don't just listen to chorale music, and I am not religeous but I find it useulf for reflection, contemplation and sometimes reconciliation. Driving to work I listen to Smooth and some of the old pop classics as well ;). Some poeple have a close taste in music and others a wide taste.

Be good to see others post some of their sounds.....

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mum introduced me to Old Sax (Louis Armstrong) on her old 78's when I was a kid -so heres a song that brings back lots of happy memories with my mum

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
If you want to stop your PWD from following you around play anything by Sparks. Dad once walked once walked out of the kitchen saying "B' awful"!

MaNaAk

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just want to share this playlist with everyone
You know I have an old colleague that was just fab at karaoke and one of his best styles was Frank Sinatra. He always sang what he felt like singing at the time, but Fly Me to th Moon was a good rendition :)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
A very personal share, this is something I seldom share. I have always used chant to help me in some very searching times. Lots of people won't grasp its value, but some of you will. Meditation comes in many different forms ;)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm very fond of chant too @Palerider, but only in a religious setting. I think I need to get myself in the 'zone' and don't really manage that at home.
My go to music when things get too much is Astral Weeks, by Van Morrison. Dylan is by far my favourite artist but that album has been a firm favourite since I was sixteen.

Chloefr

Aug 15, 2022
You know I have an old colleague that was just fab at karaoke and one of his best styles was Frank Sinatra. He always sang what he felt like singing at the time, but Fly Me to th Moon was a good rendition :)
I love Franky too

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
@Palerider said: a very personal share, this is something I seldom share. I have always used chant to help me in some very searching times. Lots of people won't grasp its value, but some of you will. Meditation comes in many different forms.

This "teleported" me to one of life's amazing experiences I had when i was backpacking around the globe. Rural Russia (must have been around St Petersberg as I had a 3 day "fest" in the Hermitage.) snow covered ground, the most amazing blue sky and a near frozen river nearby. I visited an old church, unadorned, cold and austere. There were monks in traditional garb, they must have been frozen. I was acknowledged politely but with bewilderment. As i turned to leave a chant began. The sense of place, acoustics and simplicity of the surroundings together with the gregorian neumes had me spellbound and I felt a profound peace, not experience before or since @Palerider I hope you find some of that peace in what is a difficult time for you.

Apologies if I have waffled

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I sort of ‘do’ My Way and The lady is a tramp on karaoke now and again, but it is embarrassing knowing how good he was x

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@Sarasa and @Palerider , I find chant very calming. I find if I close my eyes and listen it helps me to empty my head of the day’s events. In better times my husband and I were very fortunate to be visiting L’Abbaye du Thoronet in Provence whilst Gregorian chant was performed. It was a special time , I need say no more about it.

@Dunroamin , your experience sounds almost ethereal, certainly one to cherish. A reminder to us that memories and experiences are so very, very important.

I would just like to add that I think that this thread is an inspired one. Many thanks.

One thing I have yet to work out is how to add a you tube link! I’m not the best at techie stuff!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso