1. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    When I came home yesterday Crossroads carer told me she had had OH doing exercises to music - said it was great fun, hubby enjoyed it, so that's something I should be doing with him.

Overnight, he talked incessantly, mostly incoherently but sometimes he said I can't hear the music, turn up the sound - the whole night it went on - it seemed as if he was on a loop replaying the music & movement over and over again - very agitated at times.

Crossroads carer works mainly with children who have various disabilities so I am wondering if what she suggests is more in line with her other clients but not so suitable for people with dementia.

Hubby does like music so I also wonder if it was a one off. I just know that if every night was like last night, totally sleepless for me, I couldn't continue indefinitely caring for OH on my own 24/7. Hubby is housebound so cannot take him out - Tuesday morning is my only time out on my own.

Has anyone found Music and movement good for PWD - should I persevere?

Thanks - Lilac

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Our Day Centre has armchair exercise to music. Singing for the Brain combines music and dancing. Other organisations do too. A lot of people with dementia seem to enjoy it very much but if it overstimulates your hubby's brain to an extent that he can't sleep then I would say proceed with caution, in small doses, not too loud and not before bedtime.

3. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Thanks for your reply Beate. xx

4. malomm

malomm Registered User

Hello Lilac, (my favourite colour :) ), well where I live we don't enjoy such luxuries as day centres and visiting nurses and carer assessments or all the other goodies. What we do have however is 2 afternoons a week senior citizens club; where Mrs M enjoys joining in the light work out to music. She really enjoys them, even if an hour later she's completely forgotten about it. I think, like many others, that music and dance can play an important role in dementia care. One thing that Mrs M can enjoy for hours on end is YouTube mixes of popular music from the 40's and 50's; memories of her youth.
    keep smiling,
    malomm