Mums's account being used fraudulently

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
My late brother was living with my 83 year old mum who has alzheimers. She has carers in three times a day and is not allowed out alone. I knew he looked after her reluctantly - I do not live close and had to hand over the reigns following my husbands cancer diagnosis in May.
All of her bills are paid by direct debit and everything ran smoothly ( or so I thought). My brother was found dead last Friday. It turned out that he was mentally ill and had been hoarding in his room. I found mums bank card in his room, and after finding one statement of hers from September - he had accessed her account and had stolen over £4000. I have now applied for LPOA ( she previously flatly refused to sign it) but I know that will take time to go through. The bank will not talk to me without it - I do not want her to know about the theft as I feel it would be too much for her to take in at the this time. He had been using her bank to buy things via ebay and amazon. Is there any way I can contact them without LPOA to have her card details removed? It appears he may have been bidding just before he died and was one them. I am concerned that they can still take her
money. I have meetings lined up with a social worker who tells me that we need to due a financial assessment as she may need to be paying for her care, but I can't access anything to know what her savings are etc.
Any advice would be gratefully received. If it's not enough that I have lost a brother - I just cannot get to grips with him stealing from his own mother!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Who is dealing with your brothers death? Executor?
Inform the Bank, and ask that the cards be cancelled. Take Mother into the Bank, they will talk to her, in front of you if she gives permission. Ask for copies of recent statements.
I doubt you will be able hide this from her.
Inform E-bay, Amazon e.t.c as best you can, but cancelling the cards will get their attention.
Be sure to get copies of the Death Certificate, as you will need to send them to various places, most should come back(hopefully)

Bod

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Who is dealing with your brothers death? Executor?
Inform the Bank, and ask that the cards be cancelled. Take Mother into the Bank, they will talk to her, in front of you if she gives permission. Ask for copies of recent statements.
I doubt you will be able hide this from her.
Inform E-bay, Amazon e.t.c as best you can, but cancelling the cards will get their attention.
Be sure to get copies of the Death Certificate, as you will need to send them to various places, most should come back(hopefully)

Bod

Dear Raindancer,

This sounds like good advice from Bod. I'm sorry that I can't add any more but I do want you to know that you have my deepest sympathy having to deal with all this. I hope someone is looking after you as you must also be in shock.

Hugs to you

MaNaAk