Mums voice is changing

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello this is the first time I have posted and I need some advice about my lovely Mum, Joan, who is 74 and in an excellent EMI home near to us following the sudden death our my lovely Dad last September.

She is in the middle to late stages and although she has lost a lot of weight, is very well in herself and active, but for about 8 weeks she has said that her throat feels funny ,not sore or scratchy and her voice which was a bit hoarse for a while is now a weak "old lady" voice, if you know what I mean.

She eats well when reminded that food is in front of her as she doesn't always know what food is. She drinks well and does not seem to have any problems swallowing, but continues to say there is something in her throat and points to just under the base of her adams apple. This is upsetting her and she is a happy person by nature still and I want all her days to be happy ones so don't know what to do.

Is this a symptom of her alzheimers or should I get the home to get the GP to check her out? Mum says she won't have anyone "poking about and making it worse."

Kathleen

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
trust me I'm a Dr ......

Hello,
without question you should ask for the GP to attend
it may be nothing, but why wait for something to develop. could just be a mouth ulcer, I cant imagine it being anything much worse or they would be in pain and much more uncomfortable.

Hope it's nothing but get mum checked over soon as. And if he cant do anything see if she'll eat a little ice cream....ok it's not medical advice but I've never seen it do anyone any harm.

Keep well
let us know how she is.

TED

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Thanks Ted

I rang mum's brother just now who looks on her as his second Mum and he says the same as you, he is visiting her tomorrow and will insist the doctor visits and one of us will be there for the consultation.

I suppose I can't get used to making decisions for her, I miss Dad so very much and I am fed up with this illness taking mum from us bit by bit, life can be really awful sometimes can't it!

Thanks again
Kathleen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Kathleen, have to agree here, better to get any problems checked out as soon as you notice them, that way they can be dealt with quickly if need be, before they get a hold. Welcome to TP, love She. XX

KarenC

Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, USA
Kathleen said:
I suppose I can't get used to making decisions for her....
The increasing amount of running your mum's life -- making decisions for her and what not -- is a tough change-over from when your parents were independently functioning people.

There have been a few situations over the years during my parents' decline where it has struck me as odd/uncomfortable/etc. Sometimes just all the little decisions feel like too much responsibility. Should she have cataract surgery? No. Should she still be getting her teeth cleaned? Yes.

It sounds especially tough for you since you were thrust into this role rather suddenly when you dad died.

Best wishes,
Karen