Mum's visit home today

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
We went to pick up mum at 10 am from her care home. When we got there she was stood there in her coat waiting for us. The visit was good. She was asleep nearly all the time bless her, just like in the home. She ate all her meal. She is coming home for Christmas, I am glad I had the practice run.

I would like to know if other people with dementia sleep a lot during the day though because I am worried that she is doing this.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
We went to pick up mum at 10 am from her care home. When we got there she was stood there in her coat waiting for us. The visit was good. She was asleep nearly all the time bless her, just like in the home. She ate all her meal. She is coming home for Christmas, I am glad I had the practice run.

I would like to know if other people with dementia sleep a lot during the day though because I am worried that she is doing this.

I the last 4 weeks my MIl has begum to sleep a lot she lives with myself and her son. had urine and bloods checked but they ok so guessing it is just further down the path .

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
So pleased that the visit went so well and I hope you have a really lovely Christmas. She is obviously comfortable and relaxed enough to doze and it is lovely that she isn't at all agitated or she wouldn't be able to sleep. Peace and comfort - what more could one ask xxxxxx

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Fizzie has put it very nicely. My Dad sleeps a lot (not every day) and I used to get quite stressed about it, but have discovered that it is his dementia progressing and sometimes he just can't stay awake. I now have adapted my routine to work around his sleeping and don't worry. He is warm and comfortable and I am there when he wakes up. X

smartieplum

Jul 29, 2014
My mum sleeps longer in the morning. I worry that she may pick up a chest infection as she was always an early riser and this is new.

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
My mum started sleeping a lot, lying in bed later each day and nodding off during the day and early evening. I think a big part of it was lack of stimulation and boredom, being unable to entertain herself or interact with other people as she would have done before the dementia progressed and her memory and cognition declined. She also found it exhausting trying to concentrate on things, or hold a conversation, so this all helped to tire her out quicker than before. Infection made it much worse as well.

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
I'm pleased you've raised this point about lots of sleep as my dad could happily sleep all day and all night and I was wondering if it was normal. He's just out of his third stay in hospital since 20 Sept and I put it down to him being exhausted and his body trying to recover from his infections. I like to think he's having some nice dreams as he sleeps so peacefully and that seems such a relief when his wakeful state is so confused. It's a worry that he's eating so little and I also wondered if he was exhausted from lack of calories too.
How wonderful that your trial run home day went well, you must be thrilled :)

Jenny59

Jan 10, 2013

Ask the staff what medication she is on, because she is always sleepy.

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
I asked at the home today why was mum sleeping all the time and they said she doesn't sleep during the night, she is up all night talking to the staff there!