• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Mums property


Registered User
Sep 25, 2014
Hi everyone,
My problem is just received funding for mum being in care home and just received email talking about her property and deferred payment , I think they missed the class on plain English, I am totally confused. Her property is a non mortgageable construction, so do we sell, can't rent it as to much needs doing, just to understand would be nice, why can't they put it all in idiot form.
Thanks everyone


Registered User
Aug 24, 2013
Interesting question. You say it's a "non mortgageable construction" so a cash buyer (someone who doesn't need a mortgage) quite often buy to let buyers.
Although it's worth a whole lot less than a mortgageable property if you sell there really isn't much difference in the rental value. Tennants aren't interested in the construction only the condition so I suspect the most profitable thing would be to rent or to sell it to someone who will turn it into a rental.
I'd get it valued (it's free) then talk to the council, if they've put a charge on it and presumably this will soak up all it's value quite quickly then why should you get all the grief of: insuring it, going round checking, frost protecting in the winter, dealing with the utility bills and all that goes with looking after an empty house when there nothing in it for you?


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
In addition to the problems associated with keeping the house your mum will also have to pay interest on the funds lent to her by the LA until the house is sold.