Mum's poem

amsterdamtulip

Jan 5, 2013
somerset
I've very recently lost my mum to Alzheimer's. I wrote this poem some months ago to portray how I thought I might feel when Mum was eventually free of her dementia. Indeed I was right. I had the honour of reading this at her funeral yesterday. I hope it brings some comfort to others.

Attachments

• mums poem.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 7,616

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
That's so beautiful. Sorry for your loss. My husband often used to talk of feeling 'lost forever' I often feel that when he has completed his journey he will 'find' himself again.

Thank you

Lyn T

muriel.elliott

Aug 21, 2010
Berkshire
That is so lovely. It must have taken a lot of courage to stand there and read that.
Maxine read a poem at Bryans funeral( which she did not write herself) and i was so proud of her. She was so brave. I do so admire you. xx

CathT

Jun 18, 2010
Wakefield
So true

This is profound and has opened the floodgates for me. I lost my lovely mum on Christmas Eve and it is her funeral tomorrow. I have been feeling mostly flat and numb since she passed away but this sums up how I hope my mum is feeling right now. My mum loved poetry and this is so beautiful. Your mum would be so proud of you. Thank you for sharing this. Xxx

LisaQ

Apr 3, 2012
Somerset
lovely

Thank you for sharing the touching poem you wrote. It made me cry in a nice way. As much I miss my Dad (he died last September) I like to think that he is living another life without the cloud of confusion.
Bless you
Lisa x

kipper55555

Feb 1, 2014
Hi,

I very recently lost my mother to early onset alzheimers after a 15 year battle. I recently joined this site as I wanted to ask for some advice about suitable funeral poems. I wanted something that mentioned alzheimers but not too much as I don't want her funeral to be about her illness and not her. I read your poem and it moved me to tears! It is beautiful! Would you consider giving me permission to use your poem at all please? I totally understand if the answer is no though.

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
I've very recently lost my mum to Alzheimer's. I wrote this poem some months ago to portray how I thought I might feel when Mum was eventually free of her dementia. Indeed I was right. I had the honour of reading this at her funeral yesterday. I hope it brings some comfort to others.
this is really lovely. thank you for sharing this with all of us.
I have taken a copy of it on my printer and may be one day I will use it when my oh is finally free of this horrible disease. Thank you so much.

AnneD

Dec 3, 2012
Derbyshire
A beautiful poem - I lost my dear mum on 14 December and feel your poem is so very true. I like to think that Mum is now away from the demons of Alzheimers.

Thank you for posting it.

Busterpen

Oct 27, 2013
What a beautiful poem I have just lost my mum today to alzheimers and it sums up my mum totally. This made me cry in a good way

JNFcelebrant

Jun 6, 2019

JNFcelebrant

Jun 6, 2019
That is beautiful poem, with your permission I’d like to read it at a funeral service I’m conducting for a gentleman who had dementia during the last years of his life.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @JNFcelebrant
and welcome to DTP
just to let you know that this thread is several years old (each post has is dated) and the member who started it hasn't visited here since then

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09