Mums Passing

lindaw

Sep 20, 2007
Hello all, its a few months since I posted here, and then I was given such wonderful support. My post at the time was entitled 'Coming to the End', and everyone was so supportive and helpful.
Reading Chrissies post about her Mum, could be mine. Mum also had Lewy Body Dementia, and after my stepfather died, I became the only one left in my Family.
I cried, and laughed, and hugged with Mum, but she gradually began to slip away from me. She recognised who I was right up until 2 weeks before she died, on December 28th.
I was upset, because I had that novorvirus<sp> at Christmas, and was unable to visit, but her Brother and Family visited. I got her a small Christmas Tree, which she used to watch all the time. She deteriorated suddenly, and the nursing home phoned me. I was concerned about passing the virus onto the elderly folk, but the Doctor gave me the all clear to go, and I was with Mum for her final 2 hours.
She fought so hard. We were told in September that she was leaving us, but she fought for those next few months. She was not eating, and only just able to drink some of the food supplements.

Just before she died, I experienced the phenomenum that I had experienced with my Brother. She opened her eyes really wide, and they looked clear and undiseased.(She was blind in one eye, and had cataracts in the other). She looked round the room, and suddenly seemed very peaceful. A few minutes later she slipped away.
I dont know if this is something that others had experienced, but I am curious to know.
We heard the next day that Mums brother, who she was so close to, and also had dementia, had passed away 90 minutes after Mum. It made me think that she was looking for him to help him.

I want to thank you all for your support. This disease is so disterssing, and you feel so helpless, but you all gave me such strength when I needed it.
My dear Mum is at peace at last,no more struggles
Linda

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Linda
Thank you for your beautiful Post.
I would like you to accept my deepest sympathy on the death of your mother, and hope the knowledge that her suffering is over will help give you strength in the months to come.
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Linda

Your post is so moving, your account of your mum's death had me in tears.

It was lovely that it was so peaceful, and that you were able to be with her at the end. Comforting too that her brother was making the journey at he same time.

Your mum is at peace now, and you must be thankful for that, though grieving her loss. Take care of yourself now, and talk to us again whenever you want.

Love,

Cazzie

Jan 9, 2008
Barnet, Herts
Having lost my mum (not to Alzheimer's but a brain tumour) 2 years ago i understand your loss and i feel for your pain. Although mum didnt have Alzheimer's she did the same as your mum just before dying. I was with her and i knew it was the end: she opened her eyes and looked at me so i called my father and he came quickly to the hospital and arrived some 15 minutes later. When she knew he was there he did the same thing and opened his eyes and then soon after she passed away. She is with God now and at peace and i look forward to the day when i am reunited with her as you will be with your Mum.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Linda, sorry to read of your sad news.
You posted:
My dear Mum is at peace at last,no more struggles
Linda

I am glad that you feel that way. Please give yourself time to grieve and look after yourself.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
dear Linda,
Sorry to hear of your mum's death, but the knowledge that she is free from her struggles will help you through the next months.
Take care, and keep in touch.
Love Helen

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Thank you for your lovely post. It made me think of a beautiful image of your Mum and her brother going together to a new place. I am very sorry for your loss but glad you had the priviledge of being with her when she passed on.

May you rest now, comforted by the fact that she is at peace.