Mum's nursing home was in lockdown but now open again

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I received the first email about a respiratory outbreak Jan 1. The nursing home requested that only necessary visits be made. They have kept me updated. Last week it was confirmed that it was influenza A. Apparently this year's vaccine wasn't as good as it could have been. Public Health has put the home in quarantine till at least Jan 15.

My husband got a heavy cold Christmas Eve so we haven't seen Mum since Dec 21. I know Mum is in capable hands, she hasn't got sick (germs are afraid of Mum :)) and things will be fine. It's just that I'm feeling rather twitchy about not seeing her for such a long time. It's not a rational thing, just an emotional reaction. I know the staff not only gives her care but cares about her. But that guilt monster is so desperately trying to roost on my shoulder. I've been knocking it off but the bloody thing is relentless!

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Joanne - I so know that feeling of guilt when not visiting - experienced over the Christmas period when my husband's home had the vomiting bug which I caught on Christmas Day. But the time passes and when you start visiting again you will forget these horrible days - I was told by the Deputy Matron to look on it as a little holiday from visiting. Hard when you are in lockdown yourself in the bathroom!

Torontonian

Jan 29, 2014
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Joanne..

I suppose it is the same home that my mother is going to... I was there Saturday... Is your mom on the 4th Floor West?.. There is also a breakout on the 1st floor...

I think it is the same home!

By the way, my brother and I walked in there, no one said anything... there was a young gentlemen, had a badge said volunteer and he didn't lift his had from his book...so we were in.. walked around, looked at my mom's future room and left.

I was told effective today that this will last another 7 days... if no more illness than my mother will move in next week.

Please don't feel bad about not visiting..

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
No, it's not the same home. I'm in Mississauga. But there are outbreaks all over. What I find particularly annoying are those who don't get the flu shot and go into nursing homes anyways. This is normally how these things start. I'm very careful about our not going in if one of us is sick. I wish others were as careful.

Torontonian

Jan 29, 2014
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
I know we cannot regulate everyone to get the flu shots but I thought at least the people in health care were supposed to take the flu shots. My mom's caregiver (for a short time) did not believe in flu shots and didn't get one.. She works for an agency, she is a PSW.

I suppose every winter there is some sort of outbreak at nursing homes... I didn't notice as much before as I didn't have to visit anyone.

Hope they are all better soon and the lockdown is lifted.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
15th is nearly there, so glad your Mum hasn't caught the flu. Fingers crossed the bugs stay scared of her and that you can visit soon.

Thinking of it as a guilt-free respite from visiting does sound like a good idea if you can manage it - after all, although your Mum has a healthy immune system it sounds like your husband would be at risk of any bugs you might bring home!

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
The home my step mother was in went into lock down 2 days after my step mother died due to sickness and diarrhoea.
We emptied her room the day after she died but we wanted to go back to say goodbye to the relatives / staff who were not on duty when we emptied the room. We delayed our return.
I got diarrhoea but I was not sick.
The home did note it in their record but I don't know if my diarrhoea related to the home.
I suppose we were fortunate it did not go in to lockdown before her death as she was only there for a week.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
No, it's not the same home. I'm in Mississauga. But there are outbreaks all over. What I find particularly annoying are those who don't get the flu shot and go into nursing homes anyways. This is normally how these things start. I'm very careful about our not going in if one of us is sick. I wish others were as careful.

I don't know if it's different in Canada but I had to give permission for my OH to have the flu jab. There were only 15 residents and they were all given the jab apart from 2 who had bad reactions to the injection. Luckily (!) the two residents who weren't given it were bed bound. All the Carers had the jab thank goodness.

That guilt monster should be kicked into touch CJ- obviously it's not your fault you can't go, but I can understand your worry.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, I had to give permission for my mother to get the flu jab and also the pneumonia vaccine, which is good for 10 years.

My main beef is with visitors who refuse to get the flu jab. Fine if you don't want to but don't go into a place where the residents are medically vulnerable. This is often how disease is brought into nursing homes in the first place.

My aunt, who is a thorn in my side, refuses to get the flu jab. She did get it once and said it gave her a lump on the back of her neck. She insists that the lump was caused by the jab and her proof? The bus driver she spoke to about it agreed with her. On the bright side, she got actual flu last year and was horribly ill for two weeks. I have no sympathy.

Caroleca

Jan 11, 2014
Ontario canada
Mom's CH was also in quarantine for 2 weeks...influenza...but honestly there r so many different bugs now...I'm not sure how well the jab works...her CH is in Hamilton.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
They say this year's flu shot is not as effective as previous years' but should afford some protection. Still, we are very lucky in Ontario as the flu shot is free for everyone. Since it is free for everyone, I don't understand why the average person doesn't get one. There are always exceptions - allergies, religious beliefs etc - but I feel it's like the current increase in measles and chicken pox - the fewer the people who get vaccinated, the lower the herd immunity, the greater the outbreak.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The home is still in lockdown as another resident has come down with the infection. They are hopeful that it will be lifted the end of this week. The last time something lasted this long was the SARS outbreak, I think.

I check periodically and Mum is well, not ill. But I would like to get in to see her soon.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I check periodically and Mum is well, not ill. But I would like to get in to see her soon.

Of course you would Joanne. This must seem like a VERY, VERY long time without seeing your Mum. I can imagine how distressing that must be for you. I hope nothing else happens to stop you seeing your Mum soon

Love

Lyn T

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Got another email. It's been a few days since the last resident came down with the flu so as long as they get to 8 days without someone getting sick, Public Health will allow the home to reopen. Fingers crossed!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Got another email. It's been a few days since the last resident came down with the flu so as long as they get to 8 days without someone getting sick, Public Health will allow the home to reopen. Fingers crossed!

I have my fingers crossed for you Joanne xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It does seem forever but it has been a long time - over 4 weeks now, I have been putting together my care package - hand lotion, air fresheners and a new shawl. I'm okay about not visiting during the day when I'm busy but at night in bed (like now) I brood a bit, just a bit. :)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
At last

They opened up the NH to general visiting this weekend. We went in and found Mum to be fine, as usual. I knew she would be but it was such a relief to be able to see her.