Mums nursing fees - wondering about finances

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
My Mum has to have 24 nursing care when she leaves hospital I am trying to work out what she will have left after its all paid for - she has no savings or property so I know that she will have her personal care and her nursing care paid for by social services and the nhs between them and we will top up any extra fees

Before she went into hospital Mum was living in a sheltered housing flat with carers on site but she won't be able to go back to this, she gets housing benefit to cover her rent and rates, pension credit and higher level care allowance to pay for care as well as getting direct payments off social services to cover her going to the day centre 3 days a week - the direct payments were stopped shortly after she went into hospital, and presumably, once I give notice on her flat she'll lose her housing benefit

What I'm wondering is how much money will she have left roughly for her spending etc?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
What I'm wondering is how much money will she have left roughly for her spending etc?
The state must leave your Mom a personal allowance of £24.90/week. This cannot be used to pay for any care. This will come out of her state pension. The rest of it will help pay for her care. All the other benefits will stop.

You mention topping up extras. You are not obliged to do this so do not feel pressurised into doing so. The state must be able to provide at least one Nursing Home that can meet your Mum's needs. Obviously if you do not like it or have a preference then top ups are the only way.

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks Pete, should I be contacting the dss to stop mums attendance allowance soon - or does it just happen?
Ps I notice you're in Staffs, whereabouts? My mum lives in Stafford :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You should have notified DWP that your mother was in hospital at the 28 day mark, or thereabouts. Do not put this off as if you do, you may have overpayments to repay.

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
You should have notified DWP that your mother was in hospital at the 28 day mark, or thereabouts. Do not put this off as if you do, you may have overpayments to repay
Oh dear, Jennifer, will I be asked to pay the excess back?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Not you, your mother. But yes, probably. Maybe not all at once but that will depend. How many weeks past the 4 weeks are you?

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
Jennifer its 10 weeks today that mum went into hospital. It's been very stressful and we've not reallly known where my mum was going to discharged to rehab, then her flat with increased care or what. I've not contacted anyone yet as I've just focussed on trying to get her recovered and discharged into suitable provision. I've been doing the 100 mile return trip to see her almost every day

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
We may be in a similar position to yours (now or soon) and Mum's situation is equally unclear - will she be fit enough to go into a nursing home or will she remain in hospital until she dies? We've no Power of Attorney and the process of applying to the Court of Protection has only just started.

With all that's going on, all the grief and trauma and even the practical difficulties of getting to see Mum every day, the business about repaying the care allowance isn't something I even want to raise. We'll deal with it later ... in fact, we've probably no choice but to deal with it later, thanks to the absence of PoA.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I've not contacted anyone yet as I've just focussed on trying to get her recovered and discharged into suitable provision. I've been doing the 100 mile return trip to see her almost every day
You can only do so much and concentrating on what is going to happen to your Mum is more than enough to deal with.

When you have the time give the benefits people a ring about the AA. You will find them a lot quicker at stopping it than the current 11 weeks waiting time in authorising it. :rolleyes:

If they want the money back it is not something for you to worry about as it is not you that owes it. :)

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
Thank Pete and Alsoconfused I'm just back from seeing mum she's not very good at all as she's had several infections since she's been in hospital, and last week got shingles!!! which seems to be making her even more confused and muddled and as well as that she was vomiting on and off today. Poor thing

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Poor her! How horrible that your Mum has now to put up with shingles as well as all her other health problems.

I hope life soon gets easier for you both.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan