Mums memory score

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
Today we got back the assessment scores for my mum, she scored 54 out of 100. The letter says that she had a CT scan when she was in hospital in Jan so we are waiting for an OPA.
It does not mention vascular dementia but the nurse clearly told us that it was. I’m even more confused now, it seems like they are back tracking or is it because a DR needs to make the diagnoses? When I went this morning she had burnt a hole in the carpet with the iron and the bean bag had split and there were balls in every room. I have applied for LPA but still waiting for it to come back.
Thanks for listening

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The doctor needs to look at the scan to make a diagnosis.
I was told provisionally by mums GP that it was vascular dementia, but after the scan the doctor in the memory clinic said the scan showed it was Alzheimers. I was surprised as mum had high blood pressure, heart failure and atrial fibrillation, and the doctor agreed that from mums history vascular dementia seemed more likely, but the scan definitely showed Alzheimers.

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
Ok thanks. My mum doesn’t think there is anything wrong. The memory nurse said she doesn’t need anymore input from them as she is functioning, but she really isn’t. Guess we will just have to wait for the Dr.

TH@cro

Apr 6, 2021
I think the ability for memory clinic nurses to judge functioning (especially during lock downs) is fairly limited and in the case of my mum she was able to convince she was earlier stages than she is in my view. Currently i am coming to the conclusion that living "independently" or "functioning" for someone that lives alone is very dependent on the help they are getting from family and friends. My mum lives independently and is at relative "early stages" but no way would she be ok without assistance from my brother and I and a kind friend.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I think the ability for memory clinic nurses to judge functioning (especially during lock downs) is fairly limited and in the case of my mum she was able to convince she was earlier stages than she is in my view. Currently i am coming to the conclusion that living "independently" or "functioning" for someone that lives alone is very dependent on the help they are getting from family and friends. My mum lives independently and is at relative "early stages" but no way would she be ok without assistance from my brother and I and a kind friend.
Welcome to TP @TH@cro

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My partner is much the same in that she can function relatively well but not on her own, at least not for long. We live together and as her condition worsens so her dependence increases and almost without realising it I am doing more and helping more and most certainly answering more questions and without answers she would have a very different and stressful life.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
My partner is much the same in that she can function relatively well but not on her own, at least not for long. We live together and as her condition worsens so her dependence increases and almost without realising it I am doing more and helping more and most certainly answering more questions and without answers she would have a very different and stressful life.
Dear @Agzy

That seems to be the way of it if you live with the PWD. Things slowly gather pace and intensity. In my own mind I would look back say three months and increasingly think gulp. That said I found I was adjusting to the demands of the gradually increasing carer role. I think it must be so much harder when matters just accelerate out of control, relatively early in the condition. You go from partner or adult child to full on carer with no time to adjust yourself.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Dear @Agzy

That seems to be the way of it if you live with the PWD. Things slowly gather pace and intensity. In my own mind I would look back say three months and increasingly think gulp. That said I found I was adjusting to the demands of the gradually increasing carer role. I think it must be so much harder when matters just accelerate out of control, relatively early in the condition. You go from partner or adult child to full on carer with no time to adjust yourself.
From diagnosis 6 years ago I have kept a journal at the advice of the phsyciatrist and reading back is amazing, not just because of her decline and all she has been through but how I have changed during caring and coping.

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
The test score clearly shows that she has memory issues. She has a telephone appointment on Monday with the consultant so we will know more from that. I will be there and I am hoping he will speak to me as well as if he tells my mum she will just forget. I’m not sure what she gets up to when she is alone, she had burnt a hole in the hall carpet with the iron. Thanks for replying

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Eddiep , see if you gan get your mum to agree to having the phone on speakerphone and then you will be able to hear what the consultant says too.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @ Eddiep, my MIL kept burning her clothes with her iron. She insists on still ironing her clothes. I managed to find a philips iron a couple of years ago that turns off if left unused for a short time and only has one heat setting. This stopped her burning her clothes. Unfortunately if you cannot find something similar you will need to remove the iron to prevent a fire. I would get yourself registered as her carer with her GP, you don't need POA to do this and it may help communication in the future

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
Hi @ Eddiep, my MIL kept burning her clothes with her iron. She insists on still ironing her clothes. I managed to find a philips iron a couple of years ago that turns off if left unused for a short time and only has one heat setting. This stopped her burning her clothes. Unfortunately if you cannot find something similar you will need to remove the iron to prevent a fire. I would get yourself registered as her carer with her GP, you don't need POA to do this and it may help communication in the future
Thanks for that. I don’t think she irons much but she was ironing on the floor not a board.
If I register does that mean the Dr will talk to me?
Thanks for your help

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Eddiep if the surgery has you registered as a carer they are more likely to talk to you, different practices seem to have slightly different policies. . If you manage to get POA for health they are then obliged to talk to you, which makes a huge difference

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951