Mums memory loss is this dementia

Harrytherabbit

Jul 8, 2020
Hi my name is Sue,I am currently caring for my elderly mum along with my sister but not yet on a full time basis as we are in full time employment.The problem we have is that we find mum is forgetting a lot of things and is currently ringing us up late at night and asking questions over and over as regards what day is it etc....she can't remember a lot of things and her personal hygiene is going down hill,she not eating proper,y and is always losing things and can't remember where she put them......we had her booked in for an ECG so that we could also have a referral to memory clinic but mum cancelled it saying it was surgery who cancelled but they told us it was mum who cancelled......we need help as things are driving us mad .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Harrytherabbit and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you. Sometimes a GP will work with the family to call a person in for a routine appointment like a wellwoman check and then include dementia checks at the same time.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
Hi my name is Sue,I am currently caring for my elderly mum along with my sister but not yet on a full time basis as we are in full time employment.The problem we have is that we find mum is forgetting a lot of things and is currently ringing us up late at night and asking questions over and over as regards what day is it etc....she can't remember a lot of things and her personal hygiene is going down hill,she not eating proper,y and is always losing things and can't remember where she put them......we had her booked in for an ECG so that we could also have a referral to memory clinic but mum cancelled it saying it was surgery who cancelled but they told us it was mum who cancelled......we need help as things are driving us mad .

Hi

I'd agree with KaraokePete, my first port of all when my Dad's behaviour deteriorated was his GP. It's a good start as they know the person well and are skilled in diagnosis so can work out if it is possibly dementia, or if there's something else wrong such as infections and so on. It might help to start jotting down instances of unusual behaviour so that you have something to refer to when asked. My Dad's neighbour also gave me some examples of what he'd been struggling with as well. Good luck.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Harrytherabbit and welcome.

I agree with the other's comments - it took a long while to get my late wife to go to the GP.

The only thing I would add is that if you don't already have Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place for your mum, it would be a good idea to do so, regardless of any diagnosis. Even at the early pre-diagnosis stage, my wife found it hard to concentrate and had difficulties writing things down (signatures were a nightmare:eek:.

People on this forum have often commented on the need to resort to "love lies" to get things done, so if your mum is resistant to the need for LPAs, things like "with all this COVID nonsense, they say its advisable for everyone to sort this out"?

Many folks have regretted not taking action soon enough, so well worth considering.

Good luck
Phil