Mums lonely

Sara68

Sep 4, 2021
Mum has Alzheimer’s.
She lost her elderly dog several months ago and she is seriously struggling with loneliness.
I spend a lot of time with her and my friend takes her for coffee every morning.
I do work part time and have started to have carers in.
It is heart wrenching to see how sad she gets with lots of tears.
She is unable to look after herself let alone another pet.
Mum is a big responsibility I couldn’t cope with a pet as well.
When her last dog got to end of life mum was forgetting to let her out and I was constantly popping in before work to mess.
Im sure a pet would help her but she doesn’t understand when I say to her you wouldn’t manage.
Any advice would be good.
Thankyou in advance

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Sara68
a warm welcome to DTP

I'm glad you have started having home care visits for your mum as it does sound as though you both need support

please don't think this is facetious; some members have bought large stuffed animals for their loved one and found that it has given them something to pet without the responsibility of looking after a real animal

maybe have a chat with your mum's GP too, as some meds may help her mood

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Sara68

As @Shedrech mentions, toy animals can be very comforting and there are some lovely soft toy dogs available. I also agree that your mum’s doctor may be able to prescribe an anti-depressant which could really help with your mum’s mood. Age Uk might also be able to help to with some of their services to provide more company for your mum, so worth taking a look at the link below.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
You can also get 'realistic' looking cats and dogs that 'breathe'. I remember seeing one in a shops few years ago and it was disconcerting ( bordering on creepy) to see it breathe.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
You can also get 'realistic' looking cats and dogs that 'breathe'. I remember seeing one in a shops few years ago and it was disconcerting ( bordering on creepy) to see it breathe.
I bought a robo pet dog for my wife. To her it's real and a great companion without the hassle of looking after the real thing. I know you said it's bordering on creepy but then, you're not the person suffering with dementia. It's been the best buy ever. Anyone visiting keeps the pretence up. Actually thinking of buying a second one as a spare should anything happen to this one

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
I bought a robo pet dog for my wife. To her it's real and a great companion without the hassle of looking after the real thing. I know you said it's bordering on creepy but then, you're not the person suffering with dementia. It's been the best buy ever. Anyone visiting keeps the pretence up. Actually thinking of buying a second one as a spare should anything happen to this one
Glad that your wife finds her pet dog a great companion. If we thought that parents in law would have benefited from one of them I would have got over my feelings to provide some joy for them.

Laceydingle

Sep 23, 2021
Mum has Alzheimer’s.
She lost her elderly dog several months ago and she is seriously struggling with loneliness.
I spend a lot of time with her and my friend takes her for coffee every morning.
I do work part time and have started to have carers in.
It is heart wrenching to see how sad she gets with lots of tears.
She is unable to look after herself let alone another pet.
Mum is a big responsibility I couldn’t cope with a pet as well.
When her last dog got to end of life mum was forgetting to let her out and I was constantly popping in before work to mess.
Im sure a pet would help her but she doesn’t understand when I say to her you wouldn’t manage.
Any advice would be good.
Thankyou in advance
Hi,
I had the same thing happen with my mum who has vascular dementia.
After she lost her dog I bought her a budgie, he is nearly 4 now and she loves it.
It's so easy to look after, the carers clean mums out, only takes 5 mins.
Brings her alot of joy, and she loves hearing it chirping along to music xx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they can be great characters as well. my husband talks to the budgie loudly and the budgie chats to him equally loudly. hes about 6 years old. the budgie miaows like my cat which is funny

Jessy82

Mar 15, 2021
Hi Harky, mum lost her dog 2 years ago, could you tell me where you bought the robot pet? Thanks

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We bought mum a “ realistic” cat but it was not a good idea! Mum found it more of a worry than a comfort, she fretted about feeding it and then got upset thinking that it might scratch the furniture! I think she also recognised sometimes that it was not real and that she was being silly to think it was but then when it moved or made a noise, it spooked her out.

She is further advanced now and I was wondering about introducing it again at her care home, she might like it in her room or the staff could let other residents have it, it’s a waste of money sitting in my wardrobe.