Mums just been diagnosed

jane.reynolds

Jul 6, 2018
My mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's by a memory clinic. Whilst we all realised that something was wrong now we know why. Also she has had to give back her drivers licence despite being told by the lady who told my mum she had it that she could still drive??? she seems to have got worse since the diagnoses and the drivers licence being taken away.... to me she seems to as I call it fall off the ledge and then plateau. Is this kinda what happens. She is always depressed or fed up is this normal?? also talks about my father all the time, in the last 6 months even though now he has been dead 8 years.
I am in the dark really with this disease so if anyone out there can help me that would be great.
I have done research in our local community to see whats about but she refuses to attend anything.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's by a memory clinic. Whilst we all realised that something was wrong now we know why. Also she has had to give back her drivers licence despite being told by the lady who told my mum she had it that she could still drive??? she seems to have got worse since the diagnoses and the drivers licence being taken away.... to me she seems to as I call it fall off the ledge and then plateau. Is this kinda what happens. She is always depressed or fed up is this normal?? also talks about my father all the time, in the last 6 months even though now he has been dead 8 years.
I am in the dark really with this disease so if anyone out there can help me that would be great.
I have done research in our local community to see whats about but she refuses to attend anything.
Hello and welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum a supportive place.

Dementia has different causes and the various types can progress(they all progress) in different ways, some in the way you describe. The various types of dementia are outlined in a Factsheet that can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/what_is_dementia.pdf

Alzheimer's is detailed in a Factsheet that can be found here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/what_is_alzheimers_disease.pdf

You may find it useful to see if ant additional support services are available in your area and you can do a postcode search here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

I hope this is of some help.

jane.reynolds

Jul 6, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Mum has become more and more depressed but refuses to take tables to help. She now keeps on about moving house all the time whereby at 85 I think it would be too stressful for her.
I hate this condition.......

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you for your reply. Mum has become more and more depressed but refuses to take tables to help. She now keeps on about moving house all the time whereby at 85 I think it would be too stressful for her.
I hate this condition.......
Would counselling be an option as an alternative to pills? Sometimes talking therapies can be more effective with particular people. I have been dealing with my wife’s depression (which she first experienced some 40 years ago) since I met her some 15 years back. My wife never found a cure in a bottle, be it a bottle of pills from the pharmacy or a bottle of alcohol from the pub!

Unfortunately, I have found caring for a depressed person to be almost as difficult as caring for a person in the early stages of dementia. I wish both of you good luck in your struggles.